Where you read it first | Monday, October 14, 2024

Student stabbed during altercation with locals

Sophomore Dan Stebbins was stabbed by a local resident during an altercation in front of the Delta Upsilon (DU) fraternity at 2:45 a.m. Saturday morning.

Stebbins, a member of DU, and four of his fraternity brothers became engaged in a verbal dispute with three men, who were not Tufts students, outside the fraternity house at 114 Professors Row.

Neither Stebbins nor the Tufts University Police Department (TUPD) were willing to elaborate on the circumstances or the details of this conversation.

The quarrel soon turned physical, and one of the non-Tufts students took out a knife and slashed Stebbins three times.

"I was actually very surprised that I had been stabbed," said Stebbins, who did not realize that the assailant had a weapon until after he had been wounded. "I never saw [the knife]. It was a split-second thing that happened." Stebbins said he was stabbed on his side, lower back and arm.

After the stabbing, the three non-students fled the area, and Stebbins was immediately transported to Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge.

Stebbins said none of the stab wounds were serious. "As far as the wounds go, they'll be fine in a week or so," he said.

Three suspects were apprehended after both the Somerville Police Department and TUPD responded to the incident.

TUPD arrested two suspects near Professors Row soon after the altercation, and Somerville Police apprehended another man elsewhere. The Somerville Police could not be reached for comment over the weekend.

TUPD would not release the names of the suspects who have been arrested because the investigation is ongoing.

Stebbins said that after the incident he feels more of a need to be cautious on campus. "It actually does make me more cautious," he said. "It's kind of an eye-opening thing, it makes you think twice about getting myself involved in altercations like that. You never know what can happen."