Where you read it first | Sunday, October 27, 2024

Inside the NBA | Much-maligned Cheeks has Sixers streaking into playoff hunt

It does not take much to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference these days. While a 50-win team might be left out of the postseason in the West, the Atlanta Hawks are currently in position to make the playoffs in the East, despite sitting nine games under .500 with a record of 30-39.

But regardless of the dearth of quality playoff teams in the East, nothing should be taken away from what Maurice Cheeks and the Philadelphia 76ers have accomplished during their recent run that has catapulted them into the playoff race.

The Sixers have won 17 of their last 22 games, including a recent four-game winning streak that featured wins over the San Antonio Spurs and the Detroit Pistons. The win over the Pistons was of particular importance for this young Philly team, as an opening-round matchup with Detroit looms if they cannot leapfrog the Toronto Raptors or Washington Wizards, both of whom are no more than a game ahead of seventh-place Philly in the conference standings.

The recent run has been triggered by the strong play of veteran point guard Andre Miller. Acquired in the Dec. 20, 2006 Allen Iverson trade with the Denver Nuggets, Miller was thought to be one of the likely targets for a contender at the trade deadline. Instead, new general manager Ed Stefanski held onto Miller in an effort to spur the Sixers' playoff run, and he has done just that. Miller is the second leading scorer on the team, and he runs the offense efficiently, contributing 6.7 assists a game.

He has also played the role of a mentor for young backup point guard Louis Williams. The former high school star from Georgia has teased Philly fans for years with his promise, but this season he has truly broken out. His minutes per game have doubled, going from 11 to 22, and he has responded by averaging double figures with 11.1 points and becoming a threat from three-point range, where he is shooting 36 percent.

Philadelphia has also seen the recent emergence of a few other young players, particularly rookie forward Thaddeus Young. The 12th pick in last year's draft, Young has only recently accrued significant playing time. He has responded by averaging 7.6 points per game and becoming a key cog in the Sixers high-flying transition offense.

That is not to say that the veterans are not contributing as well. Shooting guard Willie Green has continued his form from last season, when he came back from major knee surgery, and is averaging 12.8 points per contest.

In addition, big man Samuel Dalembert has finally found his place under Cheeks. Labeled as a disappointment despite getting a six-year contract worth $10 million a year from the Sixers, Dalembert has improved by leaps and bounds this season. The seven-footer has averaged a double-double with 10.7 points and 10.1 rebounds, and is fourth in the league in blocks as the lone force in the paint for the Sixers defense.

The star of the team is small forward and free-agent-to-be Andre Iguodala. The team's leading scorer at just under 20 points a game, Iguodala has emerged as the first true star since the original A.I. He has displayed a more complete game this season, adding 5.4 rebounds and 4.6 assists to his numbers while also continuing to play the characteristically strong defense that has him sixth in the league in steals.

Iguodala will be a restricted free agent this summer, and he curiously turned down a $57 million contract extension last summer. The former Arizona star could be seeking a max contract, and while he has continued to improve, he has not shown that he has the ability to carry a team to a championship.

The Sixers have been winning the way good teams do: with defense. With Dalembert patrolling the paint and a slew of athletic defenders led by Iguodala on the outside, the Sixers are seventh in the NBA in holding opponents to 95.8 points a game, and they force over 15 turnovers a game. Cheeks has managed to get the most out of a team that is inexperienced and has marginal talent, proving that the Sixers made a smart move by bringing back the former player after he was jettisoned by the Portland Trail Blazers.

While it is unlikely that Philadelphia can get far in the postseason, just making it there will be quite an accomplishment for Cheeks' team. Many experts were picking the Sixers to finish last in the entire Eastern Conference. Now, they are firmly entrenched in a playoff spot and look to have a bright future under the leadership of one of the best coaches in the game.