Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Inside the NBA | Poof! New-look Orlando has some Magic tricks

With all the changes that occurred in Florida this offseason, you would think that the Orlando Magic had a terrible season last year. And while it's true that the Magic was swept in the playoffs last season by the Detroit Pistons, Orlando was a young team that had low expectations.

Apparently, however, a losing record and zero playoff wins weren't enough to appease GM Otis Smith and Magic management, who fired coach Brian Hill and revamped the team. With the addition of All-Star forward Rashard Lewis from the Seattle SuperSonics and former Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy, hopes and expectations were high going into this season.

The Magic has delivered on those expectations - and then some.

Orlando has the second-best record in the Eastern Conference behind the Boston Celtics, and were the spoilers of the C's perfect season last week. Van Gundy's team has won eight of its last 10 games, with the two losses coming to a pair of Western Conference powers in the Phoenix Suns and the San Antonio Spurs, and is 7-1 on the road. All this for a team that was ridiculed during the offseason for both its failed attempt to lure Florida Gators coach Billy Donovan to the NBA and for overpaying Lewis.

The key to the Magic's hot start has been the emergence of fourth-year center Dwight Howard as a bona fide franchise player. Howard, the top overall pick of the 2004 NBA Draft out of high school, has displayed an array of new offensive moves in the post and has also become one of the best rebounders in the league.

He is averaging 23.4 points a game to lead the Magic, and his 14.5 rebounds per game is second in the NBA. Even more impressive is his 61.5 percent shooting, tops in the league, and his strong presence in the post to anchor Orlando's defense.

In Lewis, the Magic leadership has finally given Howard an All-Star caliber sidekick to help shoulder the offensive load. Though he has never been a top defender, Lewis is averaging almost 20 points a game and has provided a consistent outside presence to offset Howard's inside game. Lewis is the rare power forward who has the ability to play beyond the arc, making him a dangerous offensive weapon.

In addition, Orlando is also getting solid play on offense from small forward Hedo Turkoglu, who exploded for 27 points Saturday night in a victory over division rival Miami. The veteran is averaging 18.5 points a game and has emerged as a reliable third scorer for Orlando. The Magic has also received strong play from their young backcourt duo of point guard Jameer Nelson and shooting guard Keith Bogans.

As good as their starters have been, the Magic has one of the weakest benches in the league. Shooting guard Keyon Dooling has been counted on to be the primary scorer for the team's second unit and he has averaged just over seven points a game. Point guard Carlos Arroyo has also been steady as a second-string leader.

However, the Magic lacks quality big men off the bench, particularly with the recent season-ending rotator cuff injury to Tony Battie. Orlando's hole in its interior game off the bench could prove to be its Achilles heel.

In an effort to bolster its bench, Orlando traded young swingman Trevor Ariza to the Los Angeles Lakers for forwards Brian Cook and Maurice Evans. Though it seems like a curious decision by Smith, the trade could pay dividends. Ariza is a great defender, but did not seem to fit in well on Van Gundy's team and was getting very little playing time. Cook will provide solid scoring off the bench and Evans will add depth and experience.

Though the Magic is off to a great start, they need to continue to get production from their stars as well as their role-players. The Southeast Division is one of the weakest in the NBA, particularly now with the Washington Wizards losing All-Star guard Gilbert Arenas last week to knee surgery that will sideline him for two months. This week will go a long way towards setting Orlando's odds as an Eastern Conference favorite, as they travel on a five game West Coast road trip that began last night in Portland.

The Magic has been notoriously fast starters, including last season when they began the year 13-4. This Orlando team, however, looks like it is capable of sustaining its strong play throughout the rest of the season and into the playoffs next spring.