Where you read it first | Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Kevin Smith breaks Bob's silence to talk about new TV career

In 1994, Kevin Smith introduced the film world to a realm already intimately known by many: "Clerks" made a feature-length movie out of a day in the lives of two slackers in their 20s discussing "Star Wars" and comic books. The duo spends much of the movie quoting other movies - "Salsa shark ... We're gonna need a bigger boat" (Jaws, 1975) - and not really getting their lives together.

Since then, Smith has reprised this winning formula, as well as the film's popular breakout supporting team of Jay and Silent Bob, in five movies: "Mallrats" (1995), "Chasing Amy" (1997), "Dogma" (1999), "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" (2001), and "Clerks II" (2006); he strayed only once, with 2004's "Jersey Girl," but that did not turn out well.

Ever since, lines from Smith's own movies have become quotable canon, and legions of cult fans have made his films - and related merchandise and comic book spin-offs - into a genre all its own. Now, on the eve of his latest foray into television, the Daily spoke to Smith in a college press conference call to get the artist's view of his work, both past and present.

Smith's slacker-bonding realm extends to "Reaper" and beyond

Smith is aware of the cultural effect he's had. "I feel like I've contributed to the downfall of meaningful conversation," he said, referring to his characters' affinities for aimless dialogues that usually involve equal parts original material and quotes from other works.

"It's a nice shorthand, though; there's always lulls in conversations - when you kick back and riff on movies, it keeps the familial bond without having to admit you're attracted to your friends but would never cross that line," Smith said.

This close-male-friendship-bordering-on-homoerotic manifests itself in "Reaper," a new CW show for which Smith directed the pilot. The show concerns Sam (played by Bret Harrison), a college dropout-turned-employee at a Best Buy-like store, whose parents sold his soul to the devil. Sam and his best friend Sock (Tyler Labine) must capture escaped souls and send them back to hell. It's a hilarious show and extremely well-cast, particularly Ray Wise, who is excellent as Satan.

When asked about his experience directing on the show, Smith replied, "The kids were stupid enough to look up to me - these cats were somewhat fans!"

"Law & Order SVU" chicks move away from rape victims

The show was created by Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters, two writers who previously worked on "Law & Order: SVU."

Smith notes that this pair is unique among television show creators: "I was so bemused by the notion that two chicks created a genre show. That's kinda historic to me," said Smith.

As for their asking Smith to direct their pilot episode, the opportunity came completely by chance.

"My agents always assumed I would pass on TV scripts, mostly because I'd be a bad choice," Smith said. "When I found out about this, I was very excited, like, 'Who wants me to direct a TV show?' I read it and realized, 'Oh, it's kinda 'Dogma'-like,' or like 'Clerks II': two guys hanging out bulls----ing. I could have written this if I were talented.'"

It does have shades of "Dogma," but where "Dogma" had whole scenes devoted to discussing the specific logistics of its actions, "Reaper" is dismissive and cuts right to the action. A character raises the issue, "You can't sell somebody else's soul," but is quickly hushed in favor of just going out and fighting devils.

It also shows some signs of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fandom. "The girls were big 'Buffy' fans," Smith said. "In a world where you've got average people dealing with supernatural elements, Buffy is a touchstone."

Smith's interest in TV doesn't stop with "Reaper"

Smith doesn't watch much recent television, though he does think some of it is great. "I've been way into 'The Closer' lately. They don't do a good job of promoting what that show is - this show's way better than the TV spots!"

He has, however, been delving into television work quite a lot lately. Other than "Reaper," he was tapped to direct an episode of "Battlestar Galactica," which unfortunately fell through.

"I wrote a blog about how much I like it, and they asked me to do an episode," Smith said. "I waited too long before I said yes, and the timing didn't work out. For now, I'll be the dude sitting at home saying, 'This s--t's genius!'"

Furthermore, later this year, he'll be writing and directing an episode of the "Heroes" spin-off, "Heroes: Origins."

"They thought of me first, because I like comic books," Smith said. They also tapped Eli Roth to write and direct an episode (he agreed) and Quentin Tarantino, who said, according to Smith, "What the f--k is 'Heroes?'"

Smith noted that this was an odd reaction on Tarantino's part, because "one of the last conversations I had with him [Tarantino], he said he loved TV more than movies."

Listening to Anthrax indicates true directorial freedom

Smith is, like Roth and Tarantino, known for writing and directing his own work. For "Reaper," he said he "polished the dialogue," but that was as far as his influence went.

"When I was doing my cut of the show, I was doing it late one night and the only music I had access to was Anthrax playing 'Among the Living,' which I used ad nauseum," Smith said. "I feel bad for anybody who had to see my cut, because that played every few seconds - the girls [Fazekas and Butters] engineered most of the music."

According to Smith, there's plenty of creative freedom afforded to the director of a pilot: "I had a cush gig as pilot director; when you come in later, you're locked into the look of the show, but when you direct the pilot, you set that tone. I just had to give it a certain look and feel and hope that every episode after that would give it that tone we struck. It turned out to be a pretty watchable show."

It is, in fact, very watchable. The characters are engaging and fun, and the show allows its audience to emotionally connect with these people while also laughing at their foibles. Though it may not last long (it feels somehow too good for the CW to hold onto), it will certainly be remembered as one of the best new shows of 2007.

Comedic porn draws Smith back to silver screen

Outside of television, Smith has a full plate. He kept mum on casting for his next movie, "Zack and Miri Make a Porno," which has gone through some changes lately and to which buzz has attached Rosario Dawson (her schedule didn't permit), Zach Braff (never considered) and Jason Bateman (not asked, but definitely considered).

According to Smith, though, "there's a dude about whom I'm very excited, and we're working on that now."

The movie will concern, as the title suggests, a couple who decide to make a porno. (It's a comedy).

"It's not an in-depth expos?© like 'Boogie Nights' (1997)," Smith said. "It's about two people who know nothing about the industry. It's real amateur hour; that's where the comedy comes from. I wish I knew more about the porno industry ... I know a lot about sex, though."

New horror movie screams to be seen

Directly following "Zack and Miri" is Smith's much-anticipated "Red State," about which Smith was uncharacteristically taciturn. It will be a horror movie of sorts, but the details are murky. He has sent a script to the Weinstein Company, and they, "have a week to say something ... They don't know what to do with it," Smith said. "They're like, 'Who the f-k wants to see this movie?' Well, sometimes those are the best movies."

Directing the action on "Reaper" had a minor influence on "Red State": "I've shot action before [in 'Dogma'], but it is so ham-fisted it's embarrassing ... like four-year-olds having a slap fight. 'Reaper' was this bizarre conundrum: When we were midway through shooting, I thought, 'Isn't it weird that this show looks better than any movie we've made?' Whatever I shoot next will probably look better thanks to my stuff on 'Reaper.' 'Red State' is a real bleak f--king affair with no action, but plenty of horror."

Technology creates problems for rugged Smith-esque independents

Concerning independent filmmaking, Smith said he feels bad for first-timers, "because so much is predicated on star power now."

"Movies like 'Blair Witch' (1999) and 'Napoleon Dynamite' (2004) made it harder, because they showed that they're financially viable," Smith said. "Now, if you try to raise [money], finance people want to see massive returns. On one hand, it's easier: You have HD video, [so] you can shoot something that looks like you're shooting on film. The tools have gotten better; they're more accessible ... but there's more people doing it. If we did 'Clerks,' today nobody would give a s--t; only me and my friends would see it."

About TV, Smith said, "I would happily direct again. I went to a pitch today at FOX for this show that, if they like the script, they'll shoot a pilot. I decided to give it another shot coming even earlier into the process - exercise a different set of sedentary muscles."

And we shall do the same while we watch.