Where you read it first | Saturday, October 19, 2024

The Daily's Oscar Picks: This year, Marty Scorsese's Oscar curse departs

Best Picture

"Babel"

"The Departed"

"Letters from Iwo Jima"

"Little Miss Sunshine"

"The Queen"

OUR PREDICTION: "Little Miss Sunshine"- Among the nominated films of great social import, which all seem to have been made solely to be "about" some pressing social issue, the film that stands out as entirely its own creation is "Little Miss Sunshine." This quirky, at times hilarious, at other times touching - though not in the forced, purposeful way - film feels like a surreal sort of short story, with characters unlike ones you've ever seen before and family dynamics that seem strangely familiar, along with an unforgettable musical interlude and choreography unmatched on the silver screen.

-Sarah Cowan

Best Directing

Alejandro González I?±árritu, "Babel"

Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"

Clint Eastwood, "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Paul Greengrass, "United 93"

Stephen Frears, "The Queen"

OUR PREDICTION: Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"- The Oscar for Best Directing will go to Martin Scorsese, because if it doesn't, the Academy Awards will lose even more of what little credibility and prestige they have left. The academy has already failed to recognize cinematic geniuses like Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock, who were each nominated several times without ever winning; hopefully they won't make the same mistake with Scorsese. Still, nothing is certain, especially since they've already denied him the award five times. For God's sake, don't let this man die without a golden statue.

-Jacob Worrel

And the other Oscars go to...

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"

Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"

Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"

Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"

Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed"

OUR PREDICTION: Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed" - We all know that it was his performance as Dignam that gave "The Departed" both a strong Boston accent and a sense of humor, which often tend to go hand in hand. For those who have seen the film, they know his character closes the movie in a big way, getting in what is comparable to the last word of the film. The movie was great on all accounts and Wahlberg, fully shedding the last vestiges of Marky Mark, is the only actor who could have filled such a crucial role.

-Mike Adams

Best Supporting Actress

Adriana Barraza, "Babel"

Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"

Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"

Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"

Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel"

OUR PREDICTION: Abigail Breslin in "Little Miss Sunshine" - Without Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine" would be no more than a sad, sad movie about a dysfunctional group of adults. In her black-rimmed glasses and unfortunate tank tops, Breslin is the most endearing and believable wannabe beauty queen to ever grace the screen. She's adorable. Enough said.

-Naomi Bryant

Best Actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"

Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"

Peter O'Toole, "Venus"

Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"

Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland"

OUR PREDICTION: Could the Academy really be ready to give the Oscar to the same actor who punched an alien in "Independence Day" (1996)? While Will Smith gave the sort of sentimental performance that voters normally love in "Happyness," he hasn't quite outgrown his action hero past. Since we're betting that it will be Scorsese's year, then our money's got to be on O'Toole, too. Voters love good stories, and giving two aging legends their first statues in the same year would be too good of an opportunity to pass up.

-Gregory Connor

Best Actress

Penelope Cruz, "Volver"

Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"

Helen Mirren, "The Queen"

Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"

Kate Winslet, "Little Children"

OUR PREDICTION: In a banner year for Spanish language filmmaking, Penelope Cruz could make history as the first Spanish actress to win, but most critics have had this category locked up for months. Even against Oscar powerhouse Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren is going to be Hollywood royalty with her sure-shot win.

-Gregory Connor