Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Donatello sculptures at the MFA deserve a 'cowabunga'

One of the Museum of Fine Arts' newest exhibits brings Italy a little closer to New England, showcasing many notable Renaissance sculptures. "Donatello to Giambologna: Italian Renaissance Sculpture" features works done by some of the greatest masters of the time, artists considered near equals to the revered Michelangelo.

The exhibit provides a glimpse into the extensive role that sculpture played in Italian society. As an integral part of everyday life, it was found both in public and private space. Its presence encouraged a constant dialogue about religious and secular ideas.

Visitors to the MFA can view life-size statues that would have decorated royal courtyards alongside smaller devotional pieces that would have hung in the private quarters of a Renaissance family's home.

Many of the pieces in the show belong to the MFA; some have been in the museum's collection since its inception in 1876 when it was located in Copley Square. The early works were donated by notable Bostonians like Charles Callahan Perkins and Quincy Adams Shaw. In the early 20th century, however, the museum's Renaissance collection was struggling to keep up with the prevailing museums in Europe.

The MFA made up for it by presenting plaster casts, which have since been discarded, of famous works alongside the few originals, as shown in old photographs outside the exhibit. Since then, the collection has grown significantly into the diverse group of works displayed together for the first time in "Donatello to Giambologna."

As an early Renaissance sculptor, the innovative Donatello studied the natural world intently. He used a variety of media, including marble, bronze and wood. "Madonna of the Clouds" (1430) is the cornerstone work of the exhibit. It is a square marble rendering of the Virgin and child, who are placed in the clouds with angels encircling them.

For this image, Donatello created a technique called rilievo schiacciato, or flattened relief, which allowed him to attain a three-dimensional quality while using minimal carving. The Virgin and child is a common subject in art generally, as well as in the show; Donatello's version stands out due to his level of skill and originality.

Giambologna, another featured artist, is a less recognized name in Renaissance sculpture. He was born in Flanders in 1529 and eventually moved to Italy where he became an architect as well as a court artist for the Medici dukes. The MFA show features a small bronze allegorical figure representing Architecture (1600), among others by Giambologna.

A third artist, Luca della Robbia, is also well represented in the exhibit. The della Robbia family was famous for inventing a new and secretive glazing technique for terra cotta sculpture in the Renaissance. Their works were decorated with vibrant blues, greens and yellows, and were more durable than unglazed terra cotta. In the show, the della Robbia works provide a respite from the neutral tones of the marble and bronze items.

The curators of "Donatello to Giambologna" wanted museum visitors to see the phases of conservation, which seems to echo the Renaissance idea of "rebirth" first hand, so they also displayed a sculpture that had not yet been fully preserved. The curators reveal the techniques they use for analyzing and improving the state of the works.

"Saint John the Baptist" by Giovanni Francesco Rustici, a large glazed terra-cotta statue, was the chosen piece. After being rediscovered in the museum's attic, it was found to have suffered from careless handling and botched preservation attempts. In the show, visitors can see remaining dirt and cracks on the work. Next to it are panels of infrared pictures showing how the sculpture was originally made and how it has been tampered with since. It is a rare opportunity to see a damaged sculpture before it is repaired.

Also included in the exhibit is a room recreated to feel like a study. In and around the 16th century, Italians would set aside a space for valuable treasures that they had collected. It was a place where they could go to read, write, contemplate and admire their possessions. In fact, modern museums are thought to have their roots in the Renaissance study. The study at the MFA includes bronze statuettes, coins, medals, devotional scenes and portraits.

Overall, "Donatello to Giambologna" is a compelling insight into the world of Renaissance life and art in Italy. The various artists and media provide an array of styles and mentalities associated with sculpture of the time. It is a digestible experience for those unfamiliar with the era and a chance to learn more for those already knowledgeable on the subject.

Donatello to Giambologna: Italian Renaissance SculptureAt the Museum of Fine Arts, BostonJanuary 24 July 8465 Huntington Avenue617-267-9300