Where you read it first | Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Bringing light through the cover

Together, we are facing strong tensions between Western society and Islamic nations. In light of the controversy in Great Britain over the dismissal of a Muslim teacher because of her choice to wear a veil, I think it is appropriate to express my concern about America's response to this contentious issue.

In the last few years, Europe has dealt with the issue of wearing veils in public in a number of ways, often by the creation of laws that curtail wearing Islamic veils in public places. According to BBC News, the Netherlands have proposed a complete ban on wearing the burqa (a full-body veil which reveals only the eyes) in public places, because they "disturb public order, citizens and safety."

These laws are wrong, and America must take a stand against them. Since their inception, American values have been centered on freedom, especially religious freedom.

The choice to wear a veil is both an expression of free speech and of religious freedom. Although the Quran does not specifically state that Islamic women must wear a veil, our government should not get in the way of how these women choose to practice their religion. Our government has neither banned the wearing of a cross, nor the nun's habit. Is a burqa so different? The same respect and tolerance that is given to Catholicism should be given to Islam. America should take pride in our core values of freedom and religious tolerance by continuing to accept the wearing of veils in public.

One argument for the ban of veils, and especially burqas, is that it is a communication barrier and method of intimidation. There is truth in this. Personally, I would find it extremely difficult and intimidating to read someone's expressions and understand a person based only on her eyes.

However, I would also find it difficult and intimidating to understand someone who spoke only Russian. Would they be forced to learn English for better communication with most Americans? No, they would not, because it is their freedom to choose not to. The freedom of expression, which includes the choice of what to wear, is also a right given to us by our government.

Perhaps it would be better in both cases if these people decided to adapt more to American culture, because not being understood leaves them at a greater disadvantage when interacting with other Americans. However, that is the strength of our great nation - that we have the freedom to make these choices. Some people cover themselves in tattoos; some even choose to wear swastikas. These are far more outrageous choices in appearance than the veil, and they are perfectly legal in our great society.

It seems more likely to see someone covered in tattoos than to see a burqa. Even living in a diverse and accepting city like Seattle, I have never seen one. To make a mass ruling against such a tiny portion of the population is less of a practical necessit than a statement against what a burqa represents.

Considering the general fear of Islamic nations in Western countries after Sept. 11, and the acts of hate towards many undeserving Muslims, now is not the time to separate Muslims, which will foster further hate. Creating a law against veils serves only to legitimize many American's fear that all Muslims are terrorists. Isn't it the job of our government to make our nation as fair and safe as possible?

I can understand the practical concerns of the constant wearing of a burqa. Should people be allowed to wear them during identification photos and in our airports and banks? No. In these instances anyone with a covered face poses a threat, regardless of religion. These security issues are specific to face coverings, and any law made about such would necessarily include face veils.

These laws are not discriminating against Muslims. This fact should be made clear, with an emphasis on equality and overall security. Hopefully, if Muslim people can see that complying with such security laws is for the good of all Americans, they will not be offended. Such compliance is also a demonstration of good will and a way of battling some possible negative misconceptions about Islamic followers.

Just as America should protect Muslims from negative misconceptions, so should we be careful about how our actions are perceived by other nations. Every action that America takes is followed closely on the international stage. After the wave of European restrictions on the face veil, America should set an example of tolerance. We should be the innovators, not the followers. How can we expect other countries to view us with tolerance if we do not demonstrate it ourselves?

We must continue to trust in what has made our nation great. Even when European opinions are turning towards restriction of veils, America should stay true to its values of freedom and religious tolerance. Any attack solely on an Islamic practice will lead to condemnation of innocent practitioners of Islam. That is wrong. It is time America stood up and supported its practitioners of Islam.

Alexandra Helling is a freshman who has not yet declared a major.