Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Inside the NFL | Manning, Colts finally head to the big dance in Miami

A week from Sunday, the Dan Marino comparisons could finally end for Peyton Manning.

Finally ridding himself of the monkey on his back, Manning and his Indianapolis Colts are headed to Miami for Super Bowl XLI, after defeating the New England Patriots team that had plagued them in the postseasons past.

The chance to put the critics to rest by finally walking away with the big prize has been long-awaited for Manning and Colts coach Tony Dungy. The only team left in their way is the Chicago Bears, who make their first Super Bowl appearance in 21 years.

For the next two weeks, fans will be inundated with football facts, analysis and predictions, as well as the requisite heart-wrenching story that always finds its way into the media right before the big game. But just how do these two teams stack up?

On one side is Rex Grossman, the flukiest quarterback this season, who posted a QB rating over 100 in seven games this season, along with five games with a rating under 40 - among them an abysmal 1.3 rating in Week 13 against the Minnesota Vikings, and a 0.0 rating in a 26-7 loss against the Green Bay Packers in Week 17.

Grossman has overcome the playoff rookie jinx, racking up two wins so far, including a 39-17 rout of the New Orleans Saints en route to the NFC title. He's thrown only one interception in the playoffs, but his completion percentage will have to improve if he hopes to keep his team in contention against the Colts.

Manning, on the other hand, has been spectacular this year, finishing the regular season with 65 percent completions, 31 touchdown passes and only nine interceptions. In the postseason, however, he's almost matched those regular season interceptions with six in the Colts' three games.

Despite Manning putting forth his worst performance of the year against the Baltimore Ravens in the divisional playoff round last week, passing for only 170 yards with no touchdowns and two interceptions, the Colts finally showed they are not a one-Manning team, as they overcame the vaulted defense of the Ravens. With their stunning 18-point comeback win over the Patriots the following Sunday, the Colts seem to have fates their side this season.

Of course, Manning faced a weakened Patriots defense that, despite a strong first-half performance, clearly had little left in the tank after its exhausting performance against the San Diego Chargers a week earlier. On Super Bowl Sunday, Manning will face a Bears defense which, led by star linebacker Brian Urlacher, has held opponents to just 16 points per game, forced 24 interceptions, and amassed 40 sacks. In this past Sunday's win over the Saints, the Bears held running backs Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister to a combined 10 carries for only 37 yards.

The running games for both teams will be extremely important on Sunday, and they'll have to be established early in the game. The Colts showed they weren't missing Edgerrin James on Sunday, as Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai combined for 28 carries and 125 yards. The Bears showed their ability on the ground as well, with backs Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson combining for 43 carries for 183 yards and three touchdowns.

But perhaps the greatest edge for the Colts will come on the ever-reliable leg of kicker Adam Vinatieri. The Patriots' former "Mr. Clutch" could find himself poised to win his fourth Super Bowl, but that will depend on whether or not Manning can truly overcome his past inability to perform under postseason pressure.

He made the first step on Sunday against the Patriots, but on Feb. 4, he'll face his final test.