Where you read it first | Saturday, September 21, 2024

Mel Gibson's PC 'Apocalypto' may actually find a passionate following

Mel Gibson's latest release "Apocalypto" will test his popularity in the wake of his anti-Semitic outburst during a DUI arrest in late July. The incident might hinder the movie's success at the box office and the Academy Awards, which is unfortunate, because it is one of the best films of the year. Gibson clearly has some serious issues in his personal life, but he is undeniably an excellent filmmaker and storyteller.

"Apocalypto" offers a stunning portrait of the Mayan civilization shortly before the 16th-century invasions of the conquistadores. The film begins by introducing Jaguar Paw (Rudy Youngblood), a young hunter who lives freely in the forest with his tribe. One morning, his village is destroyed by a group of neighboring warriors who seek human captives. Jaguar Paw manages to hide his family from the intruders, but fails to escape his own enslavement. After an arduous journey from his home to the Mayan temples, he discovers he will be offered to the gods as a human sacrifice. The story follows his epic struggle for survival in the face of constant danger.

Gibson presents the demise of indigenous civilizations in Central and South America in an original and entertaining way. The film presents itself as the prequel to the Spanish conquest by showing the beginning of the end of the Mayan Empire; the film contains no battle sequences pitting Mayans against Spaniards.

Instead, the filmmaker stays within the realm of the native society, thereby steering away from the traditional approach to the subject. Gibson demonstrates the Mayans' general way of living through a fascinating depiction of their rituals and beliefs. The intricate costumes, grandiose sets and exclusive use of the Maya language make the film not only visually impressive, but realistic.

The notorious filmmaker still managed to stir up controversy in the days before the movie's release. Ignacio Ochoa, director of the Nahual Foundation, has denounced the film as racist and offensive because he claims it depicts the natives as brutal savages.

"Apocalypto" does emphasize the ways in which Mayan leadership contributed to its own downfall by calling for more and more human sacrifices in response to disease and bad harvests. However, Gibson shows the positive aspects of Mayan culture along with the negative ones.

"Apocalypto" is a gripping journey from start to finish that continuously shocks the audience. The action-packed adventure shows the protagonist's desperate fight for freedom in front of an endless array of obstacles. Jaguar Paw confronts an interesting assortment of foes, ranging from zealous shamans to hungry beasts. Heads are cut off, hearts get ripped out and throats are sliced up during a two-hour bloodbath that will make most people cringe.

However, the film feels like a cakewalk compared to Gibson's last production, "The Passion of the Christ" (2004). "Apocalypto" has some pretty gruesome scenes, but is not gratuitous or overly gory.

Mel Gibson's anti-Semitic rant last summer has affected people's perceptions of him, which may or may not influence their decision to go see his movie. Last week, the film did not win any recognition from the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures, which comes as no surprise. Apparently, no one wants to award someone so openly prejudiced.

Nonetheless, Gibson's latest work is a cinematic masterpiece that merits praise for its impeccable acting, dazzling production and expert cinematography. Hopefully, people will put aside Gibson's inappropriate behavior and allow themselves the pleasure that his movie has to offer.