Where you read it first | Monday, September 30, 2024

As Boston mourns a sports legend, Tufts remembers Red Auerbach

On Saturday, the man who built the Boston Celtics passed away.

Arnold "Red" Auerbach led the Celtics to nine NBA Championships in 10 years between 1956 and 1966 and remained with the team as either general manager or president from 1966 until his death. He was responsible for bringing legends such as Bill Russell, John Havlicek and Larry Bird to the Celtics. But more than just the championships and champions, Auerbach remained a pillar of integrity for the entire game of basketball.

A pioneer in racial equality, Auerbach drafted the first black player in the NBA draft, ran the first all-black starting five and appointed Russell his successor, making him the first black coach of a professional sports team.

This vision and fearlessness made Auerbach a perfect match for the Distinguished Achievement Award, initiated by then-Director of Athletics Rocky Carzo in 1987 to recognize outstanding accomplishments in the world of sports and to make a name for Tufts Athletics in the surrounding community.

The two men met through a mutual acquaintance, and their old-school personalities and philosophies made an instant connection. Carzo went to a Celtics practice where he asked Auerbach to be the award's inaugural recipient.

Auerbach's larger than life spirit, his drive and determination, and his ability to win defined the Boston Celtics dynasty for over a half-century. He may be gone, but the character he instilled will never be forgotten in Boston. - by Andrew Bauld