Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Vegatarianism: A guide to leaving the carnivorous lifestyle

October is Vegetarian Awareness Month: the perfect time to explore the world of plant-based foods!

The power of plants

Ever wonder why plant foods get so much press? They are packed with nutrients like fiber, antioxidants, and phytochemicals. Also, they are cholesterol free and many are low in saturated and trans-fat -- all of which have health-promoting properties.

Medical evidence suggests that increasing your consumption of plant foods, such as fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes, may improve your health and increase your protection from disease, specifically a diet rich in plant foods may lower your risk of heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and obesity.

One vegetarian doesn't fit all

A vegan eliminates all animal foods from her diet, but vegans are not the only vegetarians. You don't have to stop eating meat all together to become a vegetarian. A lacto-vegetarian includes dairy products. A lacto-ovo vegetarian includes both eggs and dairy products. A pesco vegetarian includes eggs, dairy and fish into their diet. Finding the diet that works best for you, and meets your nutritional needs is your best bet.

Filling in the gaps

Regardless of the type of vegetarian you think about becoming, it is important to vary your diet to ensure all of you nutritional needs are being met. Vegetarian diets can be low in important nutrients including protein, iron, calcium, zinc, and vitamin B-12.

Protein

One nutrient that is commonly focused on when changing to a vegetarian diet is protein. Protein is important for growth and maintenance, among other functions. Good sources of protein in a vegetarian's diet include beans, nuts, nut butters, peas and soy products (tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers). Dairy products and eggs can also be good protein sources for vegetarians who choose to include these in their diets.

Iron

Iron is another concerning nutrient for vegetarians. Iron functions as a carrier of oxygen in the blood. Good sources for vegetarians include iron-fortified breads and cereals, spinach, beans, lentils, molasses, peas and some dried fruits.

Calcium

Calcium builds bones and teeth; it is primarily found in dairy products. For vegetarians wishing to omit dairy from their diet, calcium can be a tough nutrient get enough of on a daily basis without some extra work. Some good sources include fortified breakfast cereals, calcium fortified juices and soy products, and some dark leafy greens.

Zinc

Zinc is important for the immune system. For vegetarians it is often hard to meet the zinc requirement because the best sources for it are animal based products. To make sure you are getting enough, include beans (white beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas), zinc-fortified breakfast cereals, wheat germ and pumpkin seeds. Dairy products can also be a good source of zinc for lacto and lacto-ovo vegetarians.

Vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 is primarily found in animal foods and can be another nutrient that is hard for vegetarians to get in adequate amounts. Make sure to include fortified foods like breads, cereals and soy based beverages. Milk products and eggs are also good sources of Vitamin B12.

For more information about vegetarian diets, check out www.mypyramid.gov and click on "vegetarian diets".

Home cookin'

Interested in eating like a vegetarian - at least for a meal or two? These tips can help you create tasty (and healthful) vegetarian creations at home:

Try dairy substitutes like soy milk, almond milk, rice milk or oat milk. Make sure they are calcium-fortified.

You can also pair pasta with legumes to boost protein -- try adding a can of chickpeas or black beans to drained pasta, add olive oil and herbs or some tomato sauce for a quick meal.

Or, Boost nutrition and protein intake in a salad by adding raw or roasted nuts. Also try adding them to casseroles, cereals, and side dishes.

Try vegetarian meat substitutes like veggie burgers, hot dogs, and "meacrumbles."

Experiment with tofu -- use firm for stir fry dishes, silken for cream cheese substitutes in recipes and/or dips

Try making black bean or lentil burgers.

Sprinkle wheat germ in your cereal for added protein and nutrients. You can also add it to recipes like cookies or even casseroles, to give a nuttier flavor and increase protein.