Where you read it first | Monday, October 14, 2024

How to lift: frequently asked questions about strength training

Weight lifting, body building, and strength training: three different names for one important type of exercise! While many people know that strength training is a great way to build muscle and stay fit, many do not know exactly how to set up a strength-training program for themselves. If you are one of those people, check out the following frequently asked questions to set up a safe and effective strength-training program for yourself.

Q: I want to start a strength-training program. What exercises should I start with?

A: If you are new to strength training, focus on building basic strength by concentrating on the large muscle groups in the body (legs, chest, back) as opposed to spending your time working the smaller muscle groups (biceps, calves, triceps). By using the larger muscle groups you will be establishing a good foundation of strength as well as burning more calories, which can help you achieve your weight loss goals. Begin with a full-body workout (upper and lower body) two times per week.

Q: Is there a special way to breathe while strength training?

A: Learning how to breathe correctly while strength training can be very difficult. In fact, it is common for people to forget to breathe while strength training! Instead of breathing, many people will actively hold their breath. This can be problematic because it will cause a rise in blood pressure. The correct way to breathe when strength training is to exhale during the "lifting" or "positive" phase of the exercise and to inhale during the "lowering" or "negative" phase. Using a bicep curl as an example -- you should breathe out when lifting the weight toward your shoulders and breathe in when lowering the weight toward the floor.

Q: How much weight should I lift?

A: In order to build strength in muscle tissue, a muscle needs to be pushed to the point of fatigue. Once a muscle has been pushed to fatigue (also known as failure) it will be stimulated to become stronger. Choose a weight that can be lifted for at least 8, but not more than 12, repetitions. The weight should not be so light that 13, 14 or 15 repetitions can easily be completed. Go slowly and make every repetition count. The lifting phase of an exercise should take approximately 2 seconds and the lowering phase should take approximately 2-4 seconds.

Q: Is it OK to do the same exercises all of the time?

A: It is important to add variation to your exercise routine. According to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) "different exercises for a given muscle group should be performed in an effort to recruit different motor units." A motor unit is a neuron that controls a group of muscle fibers. A muscle is made up of many fibers; several different motor units control the fibers in one muscle. Varying the exercises that you choose for a given muscle will allow you to work it from different angles and give that muscle a "total" workout. You can add variation to your routine in different ways: perform one set of two or three different exercises for the same body part during one workout (i.e. push-up and chest press for the chest) or do two or three sets of one exercise for a body part and vary the exercise each time you work out (i.e. push-ups on Tuesday and chest press on Thursday).

Q: Should I lift weights when I am still sore from my previous weightlifting session?

A: Weightlifting causes microscopic (tiny) tears in the muscle fibers that, with adequate recovery time, repair and lead to stronger muscles. These tears are what cause soreness on the days following your workout. When setting up a strength training program, it is important to schedule at least 24-48 hours between training sessions (of the same muscle or muscle group) in order to give your muscles the time they need to recover. If you are sore from a previous workout, it is a sign that your muscles need more time to repair themselves - take the day off from strength training and try some light cardio and/or stretching instead.

Mary Kennedy is a graduate student in Nutrition Communication at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy. She has a BS in Clinical Exercise Physiology from Boston University and is certified as a Health and Fitness Instructor through the American College of Sports Medicine. Kennedy is also the editor of Balance.