Where you read it first | Saturday, October 19, 2024

Andre, Giant of his time, bids adieu

Sunday marked the end of a remarkable era in sports.

After over two decades on the pro circuit, Andre Agassi played his last professional tennis match in a third round 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 7-5 loss to unseeded 25-year-old Benjamin Becker of Germany at the US Open in Flushing Meadows, N.Y.

After Becker dealt an ace to close out the match, the two men shook hands at net and Agassi, who was also unseeded in the tournament, took his seat at midcourt and wept as the crowd gave him an extended standing ovation. This rare tribute was to a man with a storied career that spanned 21 seasons and more than a few hairstyles, from the 80's mullet-headband combo to the smoother, sleeker shaved head.

Eventually the noise subsided enough for Becker to say a few words to the crowd about the match, using his time to praise Agassi and reflect on the bittersweet moment. Agassi then rose to address and thank fans.

"The scoreboard said I lost today, but what the scoreboard doesn't say is what it is I have found," he said, fighting back tears. "And over the last 21 years, I have found loyalty. You have pulled for me on the court and also in life. I've found inspiration. You have willed me to succeed sometimes even in my lowest moments.

"And I've found generosity. You have given me shoulders to stand on to reach for my dreams, dreams I never could have reached without you. Over the last 21 years, I have found you. And I will take you and the memory of you with me for the rest of my life. Thank you."

Agassi gathered his rackets and calmly walked off of the court for the last time to the continued applause of the emotional onlookers, a scene reminiscent of Lou Gehrig's goodbye at Yankee Stadium.

Agassi had announced earlier in the summer that he would retire after finishing play at the US Open, and during the past few weeks, a cultish fan following sprang up around him, spurred on by a first-round victory that held out hope of an impossible push to the finals.

Agassi overcame No. 8 seed Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus on Thursday night in an instant classic five-set marathon under the lights at Flushing Meadows. At 36 years old, Agassi had the odds stacked against him, but his aging body held out against the 21-year-old Cypriot, who suffered cramps in both legs in the final set.

In addition to his top-tier skills, it was Agassi's evolution as a player, from a bratty, image-obsessed kid into a mature, humble veteran, that has defined his career. The American amassed eight Grand Slams over his career, a feat that included victories at all four major events, while picking up 60 career titles en route to his loss Sunday.

With Agassi, a two-time US Open winner and four-time runner-up in the event, out of the running, No. 1 seed Roger Federer's road to his third straight US Open title becomes even easier. The Swiss has breezed through the competition without dropping a set so far to advance to the fourth round where he will play, and most likely romp, unseeded Marc Gicquel from France.

Assuming Federer prevails and proceeds to the quarterfinals, he may face No. 5 seed James Blake if he wins his quarterfinal match against No. 12 seed Tomas Berdych. Blake has played solidly throughout the first three rounds of the Open and has surrendered only one set thus far. If he and Federer do spar in the quarters, it will certainly be the Swiss' most difficult match of the tourney. Especially with Agassi out, the fans at Flushing Meadows will be squarely behind the American Blake.

No. 2 seed Rafael Nadal is alive as well and remains the most potent threat to Federer. The young Spaniard, like Blake, has only given up a set while advancing to the quarterfinals after taking down unseeded Czech Jiri Novak 6-1, 7-6(3), 6-4. Unseeded Mikhail Youzhnhy is the next obstacle to Nadal.

No. 9 seed Andy Roddick continues to play fine tennis, though he needed five sets to defeat No. 22 seed Fernando Verdasco in the third round before avenging Agassi with a straight set romp over Becker in the Round of 16. His serve is hot and he needs it to stay that way if he hopes to continue his march at Flushing Meadows.

Sunday saw No. 17 Andy Murray outlast No. 10 seed Fernando Gonzalez in five sets to earn a spot in the fourth round. Murray, who made a name for himself when he upset Federer in Cincinnati Masters on Aug. 16, has a difficult opponent in No. 7 seed Nikolay Davydenko from Russia.

But regardless of the final owner of this year's US Open gold, the defining moment of the 2006 tournament belongs to Agassi.