Where you read it first | Thursday, October 17, 2024

I scream, you scream, for ice cream (and a good cause)

"Free ice cream for everybody!"

That was the mantra at the many Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream franchises around the country yesterday, when anyone and everyone willing to stand in line was awarded a free cone.

The Ben & Jerry's Harvard Square location was one of many busy franchises yesterday. At 5 p.m., the 200-person line stretched out the doors of The Garage mall, down the block and around the corner.

But that didn't deter college students and local folk from braving the line - sometimes more than once.

According to store manager Kate Robinson, some people waited in line to receive two or even three free ice cream cones.

"So far we have given out over 4,000 cones, and we still have three hours left," Robinson said at 5:20 p.m.

Ben and Jerry themselves started the Free Cone Day tradition to thank customers for buying ice cream from their original store, established 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont.

"They were amazed [their store was] still open after a year, so they started this tradition," Robinson said. "It has really caught on."

At this year's Free Cone Day - which, according to Robinson, has been busier than last year's - the Harvard location expected to dish out over 120 tubs of ice cream. Each tub serves about 50 to 60 people.

Customers may also purchase $1 waffle cones to cones to raise funds for the Boston Refugee Youth Enrichment Summer Program (BRYE Summer) in Dorchester.

All the proceeds from the cones and a portion of the tips collected will go to the BRYE summer program, which holds an eight-week camp to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) to about 100 immigrant and refugee children living in Boston.

According to Dave Slichter, a junior at Harvard and a BRYE summer camp volunteer, the camp hopes to raise about $1,000 through the Ben and Jerry's event. The camp charges about $100 per student, but according to Slichter, most don't pay anything at all.

"Events like these are how we get the money for the camp," Slichter said. "I'm making about $2 an hour this summer [working at BRYE], but it's well worth it."

Robinson said that the waffle cones were "flying," and that she hopes this franchise - which is under the same management as the Prudential Center and Newbury Street locations - can help BRYE raise as much money as possible.

According to Robinson, the most popular flavor of the day was cookie dough, followed closely by Cherry Garcia - cherry ice cream with cherries and fudge flakes.

"Surprisingly, after that, the most popular flavor has been vanilla," Robinson added. (Her personal favorite flavor? Triple Caramel Chunk.)

Tufts junior Stephanie Schnur, who stood in line waiting for her free cone, goes to Ben and Jerry's on Free Cone Day every year.

"It is a really big deal in Oregon, where I am from," Schnur said. "It's the best deal ever - free ice cream!"

Schnur, who lives off campus near Central Square, stopped by the Harvard location after classes.

"My favorite flavor is Phish Food," she said. Phish Food contains chocolate ice cream with marshmallows, caramel and chocolate fish.

"I don't like the marshmallow, but I love the caramel and the little fishies," she added.

Though she still planned on visiting the Prudential Center location later last night with her roommates, Schnur, who is lactose intolerant, forgot to bring her Lactaid pills with her.

"I hope I don't throw up later," Schnur said.

Among the many waiting in line were droves of Harvard students, including freshman Katie McCauley. As of 5:30 last night, McCauley had already waited in line once and was on her second round.

"I've been in this line since 4:30," she said. "My favorite flavor is coffee, and I'm getting another cone."

Harvard senior Shawna-Gay White only goes to Ben & Jerry's for this event. "We only come here once a year," she said. "I come for the oatmeal cookie chunk because I like oatmeal cookies, and in ice cream, they are even better!"

Samantha Groden, a Harvard sophomore, also waited in line with her friends twice. The first time she savored strawberry cheesecake.

"Now this time, I want something chocolate," Groden said.

This reporter suggested Brownie Batter to Groden, particularly if she was looking for death by chocolate.