Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Album Reviews | These latest dance comps will surely get you all 'FiredUp!'

If you think that techno is a dead letter today, nearly as dated as a circa-1999 Ricky Martin ditty, you're more than a tad off-base. Sure, hip-hop rules the airwaves and many nightclubs, but the sounds of techno and trance still reign at many nocturnal spots.

As such, a slew of dance and hip-hop compilations pop up every week, and trying to decipher which is worth the cash can be challenging. The following are some of the more interesting products worthy of your auditory attention that will turn any house party into a Boston nightclub-style hotspot.

"ThriveMix01," mixed by Mike Rizzo and St. John, Thrive Records

With its interesting song selections and mixes, "ThriveMix01" has the benefit of the talents of a bevy of spin-masters who get to boast their remix skills. Lenny B. does some great work re-tuning "Turnin' Me On," one of Nina Sky's less successful follow-ups to club favorite "Move Ya Body."

Kelly Clarkson's pop mega-hit, "Since U Been Gone," has always possessed a catchy hook but is not really a dance number. However, a drum machine-laced makeover from Jason Nevins adds a new grooved texture to the song without losing any of the "glad you're out of my life" sentiments that endeared it to so many who have been, well, dumped.

Other "ThriveMix" highlights are the club remix of DJ Sammy's (best known for 2002's "Heaven") "Why," Basement Jaxx's scorching club edit of their "Oh My Gosh!," and Furious F.'s extended mix of D.H.T.'s take on "Listen To Your Heart," mainly because he's done the near impossible by making what was once Heart's bland '80s power ballad bearable.

"UltraDance.07," Mixed by Bad Boy Joe and Johnny Budz, Ultra Records

"UltraDance.07" is, unlike "ThriveMix," more of a mixed bag of genres. While we get another dance makeover gift from Kelly Clarkson (Jason Nevins club mix of "Because of You"), the set ventures into harder terrain. A revved-up mix of The Killers' "Mr. Brightside" is interesting but won't endear itself to hardcore Killers fans.

Icons and survivors from the '80s, Depeche Mode and Duran Duran both recently made valiant efforts to rekindle their old magic with new songs entitled "Precious" and "What Happens Tomorrow," respectively. While the tracks were not overly successful, the "UltraDance" revamping of "Precious" echoes classic Depeche Mode, who actually perfected the synth dance stuff themselves decades ago. Duran Duran's track, however, is not appealing and is, like many a Duran song (but certainly not all), a tad disposable.

The inclusion of a Red Bull-injected "Lose My Breath" from Destiny's Child is the set's standout as Peter Rauhofer all but eliminates the school band drum riff that nearly ruined the song's original mix, fusing the song's elements into the dance floor-burner it always should have been.

"Fired Up! 3," Mixed by various artists, Razor & Tie Records

The most mainstream of all the compilations, "Fired Up! 3" renders many a recent Top 40 hit nearly unrecognizable. Kelis' "Milkshake," Maroon 5's "This Love," and Kevin Lyttle's "Turn Me On" are all juiced up way too much, so the mixes have the songs sounding almost Chipmunk-like.

While this semi-disastrous trio causes "Fired Up!" to misfire a bit, some other inventive concoctions save the CD. A unique remix of Beyonc?©'s "Crazy In Love" (re-titled "Krazy In Luv") all but erases Jay-Z, yet adds some tasteful and atmospheric beats that give new life to a great (albeit much overplayed) song.

Also worthy of note is the inclusion of Lasgo's tasteful "Something" and Armand Van Helden, who should get some sort of an award for making Britney Spears' "Toxic" actually tolerable.

"Hip-Hop Essentials" Vols. 1-12, Mixed by various artists, Tommy Boy Records

How often have you been at a club or party and heard someone yell at the DJ to "kick it old-school?" Since you can't survive a night of dancing on just techno (or 50 Cent) alone, one must have this "Hip-Hop Essentials" collection on hand.

By far the most comprehensive collection of old-school jams, "Hip-Hop Essentials" is a 12-CD collection that not only digs up the lighter sides of the Sugarhill Gang ("Rapper's Delight"), LL Cool J ("Goin' Back To Cali"), Run-D.M.C. ("King of Rock"), and Salt-N-Pepa ("Push It"), but delves into the harder-edged, more statement-based rhymes of Public Enemy ("Fight The Power"), Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five ("The Message") and Boogie Down Productions ("The Bridge Is Over").

Whether it is early gangsta (N.W.A.'s "F-k The Police") or as pop as you can get (Young MC's "Bust A Move"), it is on "Hip-Hop Essentials," and it will lend an air of credibility to any dance floor or CD collection.