Where you read it first | Monday, September 9, 2024

These loveable clay heroes are all crackers about cheese

After traveling to the moon, apprehending a pilfering penguin, and saving a herd of sheep from rustlers in previous adventures, what, besides eating more cheese, is left for a man and his dog to do? How about protecting the town's gardens from vegetable-crazy rabbits?

This is just what the beloved stars of "Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit" set out to do. With Wallace's inventive mind and Gromit's sensibility and courage, the duo has turned garden protection into a science.

For those who aren't already acquainted with the loveable claymation duo, an introduction is in order. Wallace (Peter Sallis) and his dog Gromit live in a quaint middle-of-the-century English town. Wallace is a prolific inventor who, in his own words, is "just crackers about cheese." Although he's often clumsy and absent-minded, his loyal sidekick Gromit picks up the slack and keeps things in order.

Together they form one of the most charismatic and memorable duos ever committed to film. After appearing in three short films in the early 90's, the pair have transitioned to feature-length, only magnifying the wit, hilarity, and charm that make these adventures so accessible and so much fun.

"Curse of the Were-Rabbit" shows the town preparing for the Giant Vegetable Competition. As the competition rapidly approaches, the services of Anti-Pesto, Wallace and Gromit's garden-defense company, are in great demand.

The dainty and bubbly Lady Tottington (Helena Bonham Carter), hostess of the Vegetable Competition, becomes Anti-Pesto's highest profile client. Wallace falls head over heels for the hot hostess. Alas, this draws the ire of the slimy and over-the-top Lord Victor Quartermaine (Ralph Fiennes), who has been futilely wooing Lady Tottington for some time.

Lady Tottington's manor is overrun by rabbits, prompting Wallace to debut his latest invention: the Bun-Vac 6000. When a giant were-rabbit begins to viciously pillage the town's vegetable gardens Anti-Pesto, using a fake female were-rabbit, and Lord Quartermaine, with his trusty rifle, set out to find the beast and bring peace of mind to the rowdy townspeople.

Most immediately noticeable are the additions of Lady Tottington and Lord Quartermaine to Wallace and Gromit's universe. The biggest supporting roles in any Wallace and Gromit adventure, are brought vividly to life by great voice-acting and clever dialogue. The rest of the film is equally successful.

While Hollywood studios have been churning out computer-generated films in hopes of repeating the success of movies like "Shrek" (2001), co-director and creator Nick Park and Aardman Studios spent five years on "Curse of the Were-Rabbit." Imperfections like fingerprints and smudges seem to fit in "Wallace and Gromit" universe where every character has his or her quirks. Perhaps this medium is inherently more comic and expressive because of all the meticulous and individual care it requires.

The process takes claylike plasticine and sets up one frame at a time. In a good week Park estimated that the crew would capture two minutes of film. With twenty four frames, or single shots, equaling one second of film, it's little wonder that this massive undertaking took so long to complete.

From Wallace's clumsiness to Gromit's inaudible mannerisms, the humor and charm of the duo is undeniable. The jokes and gags are perfectly paced, none are overused, and all are accessible to every audience member. There are tongue-in-cheek references and jokes that are intended for adults, but they do not disturb the movie's flow for the younger audience. Fortunately, though it is aimed at a much more global audience, the film does not lose its endearing British sense of humor.

Many "Wallace and Gromit" fans worried about how their favorite characters would translate to the big screen. The preceding short films were so brilliant that the pressure to meet expectations was enormous. "Curse of the Were-Rabbit" puts faithful followers at ease: the film remains a vintage "Wallace and Gromit" adventure while appealing to newcomers.