Where you read it first | Saturday, October 5, 2024

Intramurals | Intramural sports kick off this week

The Packers and the Panthers weren't the only teams playing Monday Night Football. Eight Tufts student teams kicked off the intramural season with their first head-to-head flag football games on Monday.

The footballers are joined by intramural players from other sports which also begin this week.

The flag football teams opened the season with E-Men United taking on The Pregamers, and Sandstorm facing Zeta Psi at 8 p.m. At 9 p.m. The Franchise played Theta Delta Chi and Fire Messiahs played The Trojans. Results were unavailable at press time.

Indoor soccer, or "Futsal," proved to be a very popular sport this season with 24 teams in the B League. Teams include The Sphnixs, Tuft Guys, Spit Babies, Poo Universe, Inter United, Yagola, Charlie's Angels, Violent Squirrels, Ball Breakers, Case of Emotion, Dem Apples, Chewbaccas, Mad Cows, The Big Green, We Ain't Playing, and DUDES.

The B League began play Monday night.

"It was pretty laid back, but competitive at the same time," Yagola freshman captain Breese McIlvaine said. "We got killed, but it was tons of fun."

Yagola was defeated by Charlie's Angels.

The soccer games were well-run, even though Futsal doesn't have referees. As soon as the players turn in their IDs for pinneys, it is up to them to police the game.

"Everything ran on time, we were told when to start and when to stop, and there was a booth of people checking all the teams in," McIlvaine said. "It all seemed to work really well."

The 13-team Futsal A League began Tuesday night at Gantcher. Because of the odd number of teams, there will be by weeks. The teams include InterUnited, Highlife, Those Guys, Haskell Hallucination, Bad News Bears, Blouses, Zeta Psi, Go Nads!, Telo Comotodo, Team Juice, 07 Warriors, Pick Ups, and Alkies.

B League basketball started Tuesday night with 10 teams playing games in Cousens and Chase gyms. The teams are David Ortiz, AEPi, Gliksberg, Invasion, Hot Fire, Pure West Redux, The Oneders, The School Bus, Hot Sauce, and Polly Rules.

The A League begins Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. with games starting as late as 9:30 p.m. There are nine teams in the A League: Zeta Psi, White Dragons, Just Forfeit, Ballalicious, Baseball, Battery Not Included, GloBallers, Blumpkins, and BIU.

Volleyball began Tuesday night in the Carzo Cage with eight teams: Minimum of 36, The Isotopes, Kind of a Big Deal, Hat Trick, Motley Crew, La Tortura, Hoopla, and The Incredibles. Hat Trick, winners of the last two volleyball championships, is looking to continue its reign.

Softball, usually a spring sport, began its fall season with games Sunday night on Fletcher field. Skillz that Killz, Althouse, Theta Delta Chi and Manhogs are the only teams signed up. All games take place at Fletcher Field on Sundays.

In its second year of existence, Dodgeball begins play Thursday in the Carzo Cage. Seven teams are in the league this year: Kapcio, Hilltoppers, T4, The Fighting Arlens, Lewis 210's, Bacon Hall Bruisers and Roura.

The league was started last year by current sophomores Chris Severino and Jordan Thomas. While official league play will kick off Wednesday, dodgeball players have been gathering over the past three weeks in the cage for pick-up games.

Whiffleball began Monday night with a four team league that plays Monday nights in the Carzo Cage. The teams are Rich Garces, D'mac, Slam-a-lama, and Zeta Psi.