Where you read it first | Thursday, August 8, 2024

Inside the NBA | Pathway to finals will run through defending champions San Antonio

The NBA offseason featured its typical flurry of trades and free-agent signings as several big name players found new homes. Few of last season's underachievers made big acquisitions, however. This offseason saw the league's heavyweights tweaking their respective rosters in an effort to become even stronger, and while the balance of power in the league hasn't changed much, several teams made compelling personnel moves.

The defending champion San Antonio Spurs reaffirmed their status as the team to beat, adding veteran scorers Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel to a team whose only flaw was, at times, an inconsistent offense. Finley, highly coveted after the Dallas Mavericks released him, came to San Antonio despite being offered much more money by the Miami Heat. The Spurs also re-signed Big Shot Bob Horry, a key to their championship run and among the most clutch players in league history. Since they retained their key players, the road to the title will probably once again go through San Antonio.

Some of the Spurs' fiercest competitors upgraded as well. Their Western Conference Finals opponent, the Phoenix Suns, shuffled their roster significantly in an effort to triumph in the West this season. They traded two starters, swingman Quentin Richardson and guard Joe Johnson, to the New York Knicks and Atlanta Hawks, respectively. While Richardson is replaceable, the same can't be said for Johnson, who appeared to be emerging as a star alongside Steve Nash, Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion.

Phoenix's most intriguing acquisition was Kurt Thomas, who came from the Knicks and will give the Suns some much-needed front court help. If he adapts well to the Suns' fast-break offense, he will prove to be a valuable player - perhaps most importantly allowing Marion to move back to the small forward position. A rotating cast of players, including Jim Jackson, Raja Bell and Eddie House, will replace Johnson.

The Heat was the most active team in the offseason. In addition to re-signing center Shaquille O'Neal and forward Udonis Haslem, Miami was one of the major players in the biggest trade in NBA history. The five-team, 13-player deal involved Miami, the Boston Celtics, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets, and Utah Jazz. While Miami lost Eddie Jones, Rasual Butler and Qyntel Woods in the deal, they were also the biggest benefactors, acquiring Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett and Roberto Duanes.

Walker and Williams should be helpful primarily on offense, while Posey's impact will be felt on both ends of the floor. These players only strengthen a team that many argue would have made the NBA Finals last year had Dwayne Wade not been injured in game six of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Detroit Pistons.

The Pistons made few rosters changes, signing veteran forward Dale Davis and Maurice Evans. Flip Saunders has taken over for Larry Brown as head coach, however, and it remains to be seen what impact this will have on the team's performance. But with key players returning, Detroit should still be among the top in the East.

The team that made the most strides toward becoming a contender was definitely the Cleveland Cavaliers, who have finally surrounded King James with teammates capable of making an impact. Although they lost out on the Michael Redd sweepstakes, they signed a long-term deal with guard Larry Hughes, who was coming off a career year with the Washington Wizards. They re-signed center Zydrunas Ilgauskas and acquired Donyell Marshall, who was playing well on a struggling Toronto Raptors squad last season, to help him in the frontcourt.

A team that failed to upgrade was the Minnesota Timberwolves. Yet again, the Wolves refused to give Kevin Garnett any help on the floor. While ridding itself of the big contracts of Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell, Minnesota lost out on Finley and Redd, among others, and look destined for mediocrity for another year.

One team that few are talking about that made some improvements for the upcoming season is the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks were able to retain star guard Redd, signing him to a six-year extension. In addition, they picked up unheralded swingman Bobby Simmons, the NBA's 2004-05 Most Improved Player.

In the end, it seems all but certain that San Antonio and Phoenix will be fighting it out for supremacy in the Western Conference once again. Tim Duncan and company have perhaps as good a Spurs squad since Duncan has arrived, and will be the team to beat this season.

Trending
The Tufts Daily Crossword with an image of a crossword puzzle
The Print Edition
Tufts Daily front page