Where you read it first | Sunday, October 20, 2024

Football | Angry, physical Bates squad awaits in Maine

There was no gloating in the locker room after Saturday's opening-day victory over Wesleyan.

Despite the refreshing 16-6 win just six days ago, when the squad rallied from a 6-0 halftime deficit, the Tufts team is trying to stay focused on what they say is a far more important task at Bates tomorrow.

"It's going to be a challenge," defensive coordinator John Walsh said. "They're good at reading the defense. When there are six guys in the box, they run. When there are eight, they pass. They do a good job of spreading it between the pass and the run so the other team is left guessing, plus they're physical."

Offensively, the Jumbos got a dose of extra physical contact last week at Wesleyan, when Jumbo senior quarterback Casey D'Annolfo was hit by a controversial strong safety blitz late in the fourth quarter. The hit resulted in a 15-yard penalty against Wesleyan, but the Tufts bus was delayed almost an hour leaving Middletown as D'Annolfo got stitches in his chin.

D'Annolfo, the Jumbos' senior quarterback who played in six games last season and passed for 531 yards, should be ready to play in tomorrow's game.

Still, Tufts has no reason not to expect another physical game. Besides having a reputation within the NESCAC as being one of the more physical teams, Bates is probably looking for redemption after its 47-0 drubbing at the hands of Trinity last Saturday. The White Mules also lost a close game at the hands of Tufts last season, 14-12.

"They're out for blood every game," junior defensive end Chris Decembrele said when asked if last week's crushing loss may have an effect on the Bobcats' game-play. "They're always strong, always physical."

In addition to the notion that Tufts could be facing a smash-mouth football team that needs to blow off some steam, Bates' quarterback poses an imposing threat.

"They have an excellent quarterback [in sophomore Brandon Colon], possibly one of Bates' best quarterbacks ever, so we're going to have to play a great defensive game," Walsh continued. "They have good wide receivers. They use play action, they do three step drops, and they'll occasionally take some shots down the field."

Last week at Trinity, Colon didn't look nearly as fearsome, going 9-for-17 with no touchdowns and one interception. However, Bates' numbers versus Trinity may be skewed, as at halftime the Bobcats were actually only losing 7-0. In addition, Trinity's victory over Bates gave them a Div. III-best 23 consecutive wins. Trinity's last loss came over three years ago in 2002, when Williams defeated the Bantams 30-13 in the second game of the season.

"Bates' score against Trinity is deceiving," Decembrele said. "They're simply much better than that score shows. Telling you from experience, having played against Bates before, they're strong. They're tough. We beat them right at the end last year."

In 2004 the Jumbos scored their final touchdown against the Bobcats in the beginning of the fourth quarter, and held on with seven minutes left after Bates missed a two point conversion that would have tied the game at 14.

"We have to watch their quarterback," Decembrele reiterated. "All the coaches in the league speak highly of him; he's one of the better athletes we're going to face all year."

Last season as a freshman, Colon started at quarterback and played all season for the Bobcats. During the campaign, he went 115-for-223 (49.4%) for 1,388 yards, with five touchdowns and eight interceptions. Against Tufts last season, Colon was 16-for-27 for 189 yards, with no touchdowns and an interception.

Game time is set for 1:00 p.m. in Lewiston, Maine.