Where you read it first | Friday, October 25, 2024

Inside the NBA | Coaching change has Nuggets rediscovering winning ways

The 2004-05 NBA season looked like the season in which the Denver Nuggets might finally join the ranks of the NBA elite. Their 2003-04 campaign saw them make the playoffs for the first time in 10 years, ultimately ending with a first-round loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Their young squad figured to build on their previous year's success. In one of the biggest offseason free agency moves, Denver GM Kiki Vandeweghe lured All-Star forward Kenyon Martin to town from the New Jersey Nets, signing him to a 7-year, $90 million incentive-laden contract. Martin was supposed to be the player that put the Nuggets over the top and allow them to compete for an NBA title. However, the first half of the season saw Denver fall well short of its lofty expectations.

Many factors contributed to Denver's struggles right out of the gate, and they weren't able to find the momentum they possessed for most of last season. The team was 17-26 this season under Coach Jeff Bzdelik, the same coach that led the Nuggets in their surprising run to the playoffs a season earlier. In addition, Voshon Lenard, by far the team's best long-range threat, suffered a torn Achilles tendon in preseason play, forcing him to sit out for the entire season. The absence of Lenard made the Nuggets into a much more one-dimensional team dependent on their frontcourt players.

Another problem plaguing the team was the poor play of second-year star Carmelo Anthony, whose problems both on and off the court prevented him from regaining the form of his standout rookie season. Finally, K-Mart did not adjust particularly well to Bzdelik's system, seeing his numbers drop from his breakout season in New Jersey with point guard Jason Kidd. The team's unproductive ways caused Bzdelik to wear out his welcome in Denver, as Vandeweghe fired him.

On January 27th the team hired former Seattle Supersonics and Milwaukee Bucks coach George Karl to take the reins of the team. Karl, who had been working as a basketball analyst for ESPN before returning to the game, quickly instituted his game plan in Denver, and the Nuggets' fortunes have reversed dramatically ever since.

In 25 games under Karl, the team is a stunning 21-4, including a league-best 9-1 in their last ten games. Even more shocking is the fact that this surge has occurred without any significant changes in the team's roster. This late-season charge has brought the Nuggets from well out of the playoff picture into the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. They currently hold a 2.5-game lead over the Wolves, and are only trailing the Memphis Grizzlies by one game for the seventh spot.

Karl has utilized the team's quickness and relative lack of size as an advantage. He has them pushing the ball more, resulting in more fast-break points and also tiring out their opponents. He has also emphasized tough defense, balanced scoring, and an increased rotation of players logging minutes each game. The team's balanced attack has five players averaging double-digit points per game, allowing more players to contribute to the team's success.

Anthony, whose game has improved since his poor start, is still Denver's

go-to guy, averaging a team-leading 20 points per game, as well as 5.6 rebounds. Center Marcus Camby is having another solid season, averaging a double-double (10.1 ppg, 10 rpg) to go along with an impressive 2.87 blocks per game, which is second in the league. Martin has found his footing in Karl's fast-paced scheme, one that resembles the game plan he excelled at during his tenure in New Jersey. He is second on the team in both points and rebounds, averaging 15.3 and 7.5 per game, respectively. He and Camby form a solid defensive presence in the low block as well. Starting point guard Andre Miller leads the team with 6.3 assists per game, and also contributes 13.3 points per game as well. Brazilian forward Nene has been a helpful presence in the frontcourt, adding 9.5 points and 5.7 boards per contest. In addition, speedy guard Earl Boykins has fit into Karl's system perfectly and has been a huge spark for the team off the bench. His minutes have increased since Karl joined the club, and his productivity has increased accordingly. His 12.4 points and 4.3 assists per game have been a huge boost for a team that was lacking a reliable bench player.

The tale of two seasons in Denver has given hope to a team that expected to be in despair at the halfway point of this campaign. However, under Karl's leadership the team has played as well as any other in the league, and should be extremely dangerous once the playoffs roll around. If Denver can keep up its incredible momentum, they will be a force to be reckoned with in the Western Conference.