Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Men's Basketball | Jumbos drop second straight during road trip

Despite having the reigning NESCAC player of the week in senior tri-captain Reggie Stovell, and a squad that his risen over perennial powers Williams and Middlebury this season, the men's basketball team was handed its second consecutive loss on Tuesday by non-league Keene State, 90-78. The team's losses yesterday and Saturday against Connecticut College followed a three-game NESCAC winning streak in which the Jumbos defeated Wesleyan, Middlebury, and Williams, and solidified its spot in the conference rankings. While the loss dropped Tufts' overall record to 11-8, the team retained its 5-1 NESCAC record, good enough for a second-place tie with Bates.

The problems against Keene St. came in areas in which the Jumbos have had no trouble his season. Despite fielding an imposing post presence and the league's second-leading rebounder in Stovell, Tufts was outscored in the paint 22-8 and out-rebounded 49-39.

"The biggest factor contributing to the loss was the fact that they were more athletic than us," coach Bob Sheldon said. "We didn't have Brian Kumf, who is our most athletic player." The sophomore forward, whose 11.6 points per game and 6.5 rebounds per game are a major weapon in the Jumbo lineup, is out with strep throat.

"We haven't had him for the past three games and we're still adjusting to playing without him," Sheldon added.

Unlike in six out of the team's last seven games, Reggie Stovell was not at the top of the scoring list. While he played his way to his tenth double-double of the season, he fell below his season average of 19 ppg with 10 points and 12 rebounds on only 3-14 shooting.

"Teams have gotten the word that Reggie is our player to beat and now they're keyed on him," Sheldon said. "It was a 'poor' night for him and he still got a double-double. I'm not too worried."

The Owls' focus on Stovell gave senior tri-captain Drew Kaklamanos free reign of the Jumbo offense. He led the team in scoring, hitting 15 of his 17 points on 5-11 from beyond the arc. Freshman Jake Weitzen also contributed 17 points.

What did not help the Jumbos was the brilliant play of junior Sean Sullivan of the Owls. The 6'6" forward ripped off a game-high 24 points on 7-12 shooting and a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line. Freshman guard David Sontag controlled the Owls' outside game, adding 21 points, including 4-7 shooting from behind the arc.

The Jumbos led only once all night, going ahead 3-2 on a three-pointer from freshman Brian O'Keefe just 13 seconds into the game. Keene State scored the next 12 points to go ahead by 11, which would remain the margin at halftime. The Jumbos cut the lead to two on a free throw by junior Dan Martin with five minutes remaining in the first period, but that was as close as it got.

The Owls maintained a double-digit lead for most of the second half as Tufts only briefly crossed the psychologically-crucial 10-point margin with 11:29 to play and could not close the score below nine before the final buzzer.

The Jumbos reached down their bench for some additional manpower, as Jake Weitzen came off the bench to tie for the team lead in scoring with 17 points. Bench scoring has been a consistent aspect of Tufts' game plan and Tuesday was no exception, but even the 32-19 margin in Tufts' favor wasn't enough to make the difference for the Jumbos.

The win marked Keene St.'s fourth consecutive victory with Tuesday's win, moving them to 11-7 overall, and coach Rob Colbert's reaction to his team's showing reflects Tufts' growing reputation among even non-league programs.

"It's definitely a statement win for us," Colbert said.

This positive attitude was echoed by scoring leader Sean Sullivan.

"We knew it was going to take a while, but things are coming together for us."

The Jumbos have a chance on Thursday to regain their momentum heading into the end of the season when they suit up at UMass-Dartmouth. The Corsairs are 9-10, and have lost to Keene State twice already this year. After that the Jumbos move on to Bates, where they will return to conclude an eight-game road trip against the Bobcats, who are also vying for the top slot in the NESCAC with a 5-1 record.

Even though the Jumbos are riding a two-game skid, Sheldon remained optimistic.

"We don't need to make any major adjustments for UMass-Dartmouth. Brian Kumf should be coming back to practice on Wednesday, so we don't need to account for his sickness anymore."

Sheldon also reflected on his team's long road trip.

"It's tough to go out and keep playing in other gyms, but we'll be fine once we get home."

Tufts will be back on Tuesday in Cousens Gym against Newbury for their first home game since January 15, followed by two more home games next weekend to close out the season. The Jumbos' performance in these next crucial games will determine the team's postseason opportunities in the NESCAC Tournament.