Where you read it first | Thursday, September 12, 2024

Piercings and tattoos a form of self-expression

Sophomore Kyle Jacobson uses his six piercings as a form of personal expression.

"It's not about fitting into some subcategory of people anymore; it's a personal choice and something that has expressive meaning and significance to me," Jacobson said. "And I don't feel like I should be confined by what is socially acceptable."

An avid punk fan, Jacobson initially got his ears pierced not only because he liked how it looked, but because it fit "the look" of a stereotypical fan of punk music. However, since then, his decision to get additional parts of his body pierced has had more to do with doing what he wants.

"It's about being an individual," sophomore Kyle Jacobson, who has six piercings, said. "Everyone has the right to do with [his or her] body what they will."

Tattoos and piercings have continued to increase in popularity the past few years. Whether on campus, in Davis Square, or walking around Harvard, it seems that everyone -- from the polo-wearing freshman to the punk rock fan -- is adorning themselves with some form of body art.

For some students, going to college gives them the freedom to get pierced, something that they couldn't necessarily do during high school.

Sophomore Mary Humphreys, who had her nose pierced at the beginning of her freshmen year, said she wanted the piercing before college but her high school forbade her from getting it done.

"I went to a private school for high school so I couldn't have any facial piercings," Humphreys said.

Sophomore Sheena Townsend got her belly button pierced because it was a rebellious thing to do. "My parents didn't want me to, and my mom still doesn't know," she said.

Those who have tattoos, body piercings, or other taboo forms of body art are often scrutinized by others. Many say they feel they are being judged strictly on their physical appearance.

Humphreys agreed that people often associate body art with negative images. "My parents friends are really conservative and they look down on [piercings]," she said. "People sometimes think that it's trashy."

Rebellious teenagers aren't the only ones who get piercings. Sophomore Deepali Maheshwari got her nose pierced largely for cultural reasons.

"I got it done because it's an enthic thing, its part of Indian culture," Maheswari said. "My parents weren't necessarily for it but they didn't object because my aunts have it, and it's part of the culture."

It's not just a trend among teenagers and college students -- adults are getting pierced and tattooed as well. Gil del Castillo, the owner of Chameleon Tattoo in Harvard Square, estimated that about 65 percent of his clientele are 21 and professionals, veterans, and older women make up the other 35 percent. This demographic is rarely considered as people who often get tattoos and piercings.

"We just did a tattoo for a 78 year old lady," del Castillo said.

Chameleon Tattoo aims to counter the stereotypical "dirty" tattoo parlor with a clean facility and professional staff. "We know the baggage that comes with a tattoo," del Castillo said. "So we always advise people who are getting their first tattoo to reconsider its placement so they can cover it up when necessary."

According to del Castillo, over the last three years that tattoos have been legal in Massachusetts he has done mostly Kanji and Tribal tattoos, which customers can select from books of designs in the store. There are also a large number of original designs that his customers have come up with themselves.

"It's no longer a question of rebellion," del Castillo said. "Now it is a matter of style and a form of personal expression that isn't just limited to young kids."