Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

British indie band Blur: hear them again, for the first time

Chances are you have spent an entire summer turning your radio's dials in complete desperation, unable to avoid those all too catchy pop punk lyrics and sophomoric emo melodrama. In that case, I have just the thing. Move over, Dashboard Confessional, and make way for Blur.

After blessing us in the past with their hit songs "Song 2", "Girls and Boys", and "Coffee and TV", Blur is back with a fresh new sound. They have refined much of their youthful angst into something that is uniquely potent. Their show this past July 18, the first of many on their East Coast tour, reminded me that rock is certainly not dead and yes, the Brits do it best.

Blur's indie edge sparkled that evening as retro style lights flooded the stage. Leading man, Damon Albarn's biting lyrics and melodic voice were at their best, while bassist Alex James's innovations and drummer Dave Rowntree's solid beats gave the audience something to cheer about.

Accompanying the band was a group of three backup gospel singers and a multi- instrumentalist. While not officially part of the band, these new additions gave the appearance that Blur had come to the show prepared to deliver a polished performance.

Prior to the release of their latest work Think Tank (2003), Blur had gone four years without recording new material. After mounting tensions between the four, the members of the group went on to pursue their own individual efforts -- Albarn worked as a member of the virtual hip-hop collective Gorillaz in 2001, while guitarist Graham Coxon, went on to release his first album The Sky Is To High, followed by Crow Sit On Blood Tree and The Kiss of Morning. With the Britpop craze of the nineties now long gone, the band seems dedicated in their attempts at mounting the charts again.

We can credit Blur's musical genius to its fluidity. The band's members manage to contribute their own individual flavors while complimenting one another brilliantly.

Blur began in 1980 when Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon met as fellow classmates at the Stanway Comprehensive School in Colchester, Essex, where they sang together in the choir. Both were drawn together by their own initial passion for music.

Choir Boys no longer, Blur has spanned the creative spectrum. Crediting Martin Amis' book London Fields as one of their chief muses, the band has created a plethora of characters in song. These characters are, as quoted from Launch Music, "thoroughly British, and often thoroughly twisted." The group's uncanny ability for exposing the dark underside of the British bourgeoisie through their clever lyricism is what makes this group a dynamic force to be reckoned with.

The release of their newest album, Think Tank, marks a significant turning point for the group. Guitarist Coxon took a leave of absence this time around. His bass guitar is not even heard until the CD's final track, "Battery in Your Leg." Despite Coxon's absence, the album is a fresh attempt at artistic experimentation and gives Blur a slightly different sound. While we can morn the death of the Blur of the past, I must herald the rejuvenating new artistry.

In addition to Blur's incredible artistry, their fascinating opening act, Los Angeles band; The Moving Units, deserves a mention. This trio nearly rivaled Blur for the spotlight. The band's simple rhythms, textures, and moods take inspiration from British post-punk and early New Wave.

Like Blur, the Moving Units work in nearly perfect sync. From Chris Hathwell's steady percussion to Blake Miller's raw guitar riffs and vocals, to Johan Boegli's volatile bass work, the Units has the potential for mass appeal. The best part is, it's music you can dance to. Ironically, it's the band's drummer, Chris Hathwell that steals the show. Hathwell, who stands at approximately 6'2, appears to have outgrown his drum set. His pallid face and the band's signature style of playing in the dark, lend the group its gothic mystery.

While the band has only released a four song EP, each track resonates in the listener's ear long after having been heard. The LA weekly has awarded the band, 'best new artist' status, while TIME magazine will feature them this September. A word of advice: buy the EP now while it's only $5.00 online. These guys will be the next big thing.