Where you read it first | Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Zeta Psi faces six allegations

The Committee on Fraternities and Sororities (CFS) began an inquiry into the allegations against the Zeta Psi fraternity on Friday. The inquiry is open to the public, at the request of Zeta Psi, and will not be completed for at least another week.

The inquiry, which was held in Dewick-MacPhie dining hall, allowed Zeta Psi brothers to speak formally in front of the CFS and answer questions surrounding the investigation of the fraternity that has been ongoing since two pledges were injured after a party on Feb. 20.

Zeta Psi faces six charges: the hazing of pledges, distribution of alcohol to minors, distribution of alcohol to intoxicated individuals, endangerment of others, sponsored drinking games, and rush violations.

During the first five hours of the inquiry, the CFS heard reports on the allegations from TUPD, as well as testimony from three witnesses. There was no decision made by the CFS on when to reconvene to hear the six remaining witnesses that are expected to be called in.

Zeta Psi is being represented by its president, Peter Schaefer, as well as an advocate from the Zeta Psi national chapter.

No details of the proceedings can be released until the inquiry is completed. Additionally, the Dean of Students Office stipulates that witnesses and names heard in the proceedings cannot be referred to in the Daily.

The CFS consists of TUPD Captain Mark Keith, Student Activities Assistant Director Ed Cabellon, Public Safety Director David Slater, Community Relations Director Barbara Rubel, Dean of Students Bruce Reitman, Judicial Affairs Director Veronica Carter, Tufts Community Union (TCU) Senator David Baumwoll, Inter-Greek Council President Jessica Grasso, Inter-Fraternity Council President Jason Weber, and Pan-Hellenic Council President Liz Kronick.

Since Weber is a member of Zeta Psi and Carter and Keith were involved in the official investigation, all three refused to participate in the inquiry. Baumwoll was unable to be at the proceedings because of another commitment that prevented him from arriving in time for the start.

The inquiry stems from events earlier this semester, when Zeta Psi pledge Sebastian Gonzalez was injured while intoxicated after leaving a party. The incident prompted a full TUPD investigation into the fraternity.