Where you read it first | Sunday, October 27, 2024

Take a break for breakfast

Breakfast is a meal that is often surrounded by excuses. Some say they don't like traditional breakfast foods like cereal or eggs. Others complain that they don't have enough time to eat in the morning. Still others insist that eating early in the morning gives them a stomachache. And of course there are those who skip breakfast in hopes of losing weight.

In truth, however, none of these excuses provide a good reason to miss your morning meal. Read on to figure out how to beat the breakfast blues.

Why should you care about eating breakfast? A 1996 study in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association has shown that adolescents and young adults are more likely to skip breakfast than adults over thirty. Other research indicates that skipping breakfast lowers the mental performance of young adults: a survey of nursing students in the Journal of Nursing Research showed that those students who ate breakfast attained higher grades and a higher class rank.

The increased success of breakfast-eaters compared to breakfast-skippers can be traced to the fact that your brain runs on glucose. The overnight fast from dinner until you wake up depletes the glucose stores necessary to keep your brain alert. A well balanced morning meal, therefore, is key to jump-starting your muscles and your mind.

When most people think of breakfast, they think of cereal and milk, bacon and eggs, or pancakes and syrup. Any food can be a good breakfast food, however: as long as it's healthy and you like it, give it a try! In order to be healthy, however, your breakfast should be balanced.

Try to choose healthy foods from at least two of the food groups each morning in order to attain necessary nutrients such as carbohydrates, protein, and fiber. Carbohydrates are necessary to provide energy. Protein provides additional energy and helps to keep you feeling "full," a function also served by fiber-rich foods.

Fruit is a great breakfast carbohydrate selection. Low fat dairy products, peanut butter, and lean meats are all good morning protein choices. To create an easy breakfast that integrates at least two food groups, top yogurt with granola or berries, and top toast with eggs. The options are virtually endless: even veggie or cheese pizza, leftover pasta, or a peanut butter sandwich can be a great breakfast choice.

Steer clear of breakfasts high in refined carbohydrates or sugars. These foods (such as sugary cereals or donuts) may provide you with an instant energy boost, but they will make you more likely to be hungry and sleepy later in the morning.

Some people just can't stand eating in the morning. Early classes, work, or sports practice make it difficult for them to get in the mood to eat breakfast. If you are one of those who can't stomach food in the morning, try starting off with something small like toast or a cereal bar. If those foods prove too heavy to handle, at least drink some milk or juice before heading out.

Later in the morning, eat something more substantial from a few of the food groups. Some grab-and-go items are dry cereal, veggies and low fat dip, string cheese, and peanut butter on celery sticks.

Another common excuse for skipping breakfast is a lack of time. If you're one of those lucky students who don't have class until noon, then this problem does not apply to you. But what if your morning routine leaves you only five minutes (or less!) to grab breakfast and go?

If you can dash to the dining hall, there are plenty of quick breakfast fixes available. Try dry cereal with fruit and milk, a peanut butter and banana sandwich, or scrambled eggs on an English muffin. If you live off campus, keep some grab-and-go foods like cold or hot cereals, breakfast bars, fruit, peanut butter and crackers, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and granola, and juice on hand.

If you still feel that you don't have enough time to eat in the morning, try setting out your breakfast the night before or getting ingredients together in the refrigerator. Even eating on the run is better than nothing - put your breakfast foods in zip lock or paper bags, and your breakfast drinks in travel mugs.

What about skipping breakfast to lose weight? Some people think that skipping breakfast translates automatically into weight loss: after all, missing an entire meal would seem to eliminate a great deal of calories. People who skip breakfast, however, are more likely to eat more snacks or higher-calorie meals throughout the rest of the day.

This occurs because skipping breakfast may lead to intense hunger, which makes it more difficult to make wise food choices. A recent article in Obesity Research explained that most people who had lost weight and kept it off were regular breakfast-eaters. In addition to minimizing impulsive snacking, eating breakfast may reduce total fat intake.

Breakfast is an important meal with the potential to energize you, maximize your academic potential, keep your dietary intake on track, and help you to feel your best each day. No more excuses: it's time to stop whatever's stopping you from eating breakfast.