Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Busta Rhymes and Reel Big Fish to play Spring Fling

Rapper Busta Rhymes and the band Reel Big Fish will perform at this year's Spring Fling, Concert Board organizers announced Friday.

Three acts usually perform at spring fling, but "people usually didn't show up for the first one, so we decided to cut that one and get a more expensive act like Busta Rhymes," Jordan Kolanski, a Concert Board member, said at a press conference.

Organizers also announced changes to Spring Fling's format. The performances will most likely begin at 12:30, an hour later than usual. The student band that wins the Battle of the Bands on Apr. 5 will perform for the first 45 minutes, Reel Big Fish -- which played Spring Fling three years ago -- will have the next hour, and Busta Rhymes will spend the last hour and 15 minutes on stage.

The concert board is also planning on changing the layout of the venue by moving the stage from directly on the President's lawn to parallel to Professors Row. "That way people won't have to be turned to the side the whole time, it'll be more of a pavilion style feel," Kolansinski said.

Organizers declined to name the other performers they considered. "It wouldn't be fair to announce who else was considered because people will always say 'you should have picked them,'" said Ariel Santos, another Concert Board member. "There are always the same names that come up over and over."

Students seemed fairly pleased with this year's line up. "I think it'll be good," said freshman Lori Carp. "I think it was probably a hard decision because everyone wants to see something different. I think they did a good job."

Even some students who saw Reel Big Fish the first time at Tufts were not unhappy at the decision to bring the band back. Normally, the concert board does not host the same band more than once every four years.

"Reel Big Fish was there my freshman year and they were fun so I'm looking forward to seeing them again," senior Sarah Bovaird said.

Busta Rhymes has played concerts at Boston College and the University Maryland Baltimore County. He canceled a show at Trinity College last year because of transportation problems.

The energetic performer is known for hit singles including, "Woo-Hah -- Got You All in Check" and "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See." He has also done some collaborative work as a part of the Flipmode squad, which included rappers Rampage, Lord Have Mercy, Spliff Star, Rah Digga and Baby Sham. Spliff Star will join Busta at Spring Fling.

Reel Big Fish is an 11-year-old Ska band from Southern California, and is best known for the songs "Sellout" and "She Has a Girlfriend Now," from its 1996 album Turn the Radio Off. The band has experienced high turnover, however: Carlos De La Garza, a new drummer, and Tyler Jones, a new trumpet player, are two examples. The band's new album Cheer Up appeared last year, and they recently completed a tour in Britain.

Tickets will be free for Tufts students and $15 for non-Tufts students.