Where you read it first | Sunday, October 6, 2024

The rest of the worst

OK, so as promised, Inside the NBA is back this week with a look at some of the other teams who aren't sending anyone to this weekend's All-Star game.

Memphis Grizzlies
: Record: 13-33.

Vital Info:
Allow 100.4 ppg, strolled out of the opening gate with a 13 game losing streak, Jason Williams starts at point guard over Brevin Knight _ 'nuff said.

Good Signs:
For starters, they got out of Vancouver. Secondly, they have a lot of good young talent in Pau Gasol, Drew Gooden, Shane Battier, Stromile Swift and co.

Final Prognosis:
They've been playing better lately, although when you start the season with a 13 game losing streak, the only way to go is up. But the team has looked better under new coach Hubie Brown, and since he and Jerry "I am the NBA" West are, admittedly, just a little wiser than Inside the NBA, they'll get the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Miami Heat
: Record: 16-31.

Vital Info:
Average 20.6 free throw attempts per game, compared to 27.1 for their opponents. Somehow Pat Riley has convinced himself that this is the referees' fault, rather than the result of having players who can't drive to the basket and can't play defense.

Good Sign:
Caron Butler looks like he might be the next Paul Pierce. After slipping in the draft, he's averaging 14.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, and 1.83 spg. But...

Final Prognosis:
Riley's in trouble here. Brian Grant and Eddie Jones are getting old, and Alonzo Mourning needs to be worrying about his health, not playing basketball. Unless Malik Allen and Rasual Butler pan out REALLY nicely, there are going to be a couple of ugly years ahead.

Chicago Bulls
: Record: 17-30.

Vital Info:
This team is a sickening 2-23 on the road. Their third leading scorer and second leading rebounder Marcus Fizer is out for the season with a torn ACL. Rookie PG Jay Williams is shooting 37% from the field, 26% from deep, and 55% from the line. Wow.

Bad Sign:
Five years go, GM Jerry Krause, the man everyone loves to hate, let the best player in league history walk away because he was more concerned with winning a battle of egos against coach Phil Jackson. Well, what do you expect? Windy City natives better cross their fingers that the bad karma doesn't hang over the franchise the way it has for a certain New England MLB franchise for, oh, 85 years, after they got rid of a guy named Babe . . . 85 years is a long time.

Final Prognosis:
There's too much talent here for this team to stay bad for 85 years, but they've got a ways to go. Don't expect Jalen Rose to be around for the good days.

Atlanta Hawks
: Record: 19-29.

Vital Info:
Third in the league in turnovers per game at 16.5, led by Glenn Robinson _ the only non-center "star" to have more turnovers (3.7) than assists (2.9). Okay, so their record isn't that bad. But you've spent the last three seasons acquiring three of the game's more talented forwards and you've promised season ticket holders a $100 dollar rebate if the team doesn't make the playoffs. Paired with the fact that you're averaging less than 12,000 fans a night, and your only sellout of the season will be the all-star game, it doesn't exactly constitute a season for the ages.

Bad signs:
Shooting guard of the future DeMarr Johnson seriously injured his neck in an offseason car accident and will probably never play again. Basketball is the only sport in season and Georgians still care more about Michael Vick, Greg Maddux, and Georgia football. And once again here karma is important. Any franchise that once traded super citizen Steve Smith for J.R. RIDER deserves whatever it gets.

Final Prognosis:
Hawks season-ticket holders should treat themselves to a big night out at Red Lobster, because they'll be getting a check in the mail soon. This team isn't going anywhere; look for Stan Kasten to try to pull off another blockbuster trade and start from scratch.

And sorry no mention of the Blazers this week, but they have actually gone two consecutive weeks without providing any fresh article material, so they get the benefit of the doubt _ for now.