Where you read it first | Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Protein shakes are a useful workout aid

I get picked on a lot at school because of my diminutive stature. I want to start bulking up, and Big Dave in the gym said I should start taking protein shakes. What kind should I get? Do they all taste terrible, or can I find on that I actually wouldn't mind drinking? -- Ian S. in Lewis Hall

I ran a column on protein shakes last year, so I will reprint it again for your benefit. Here it is:

Protein shakes should be a stable supplement to any aspiring bodybuilder/fitness buffs program. While I will not get into the individual types of protein (casein, whey, soy, etc.), there are definitely different types of protein shakes, each designed to do different things.

The first type is the simple protein shake. By this I mean a shake that is almost exclusively protein, with few or no carbohydrates, and little or no fat. While this shake is great to keep muscle from breaking down, it is not necessarily for the building of muscle. Because of its low carb content, these shakes are often very low in calories. Therefore, a straight protein shake should be taken either between meals to keep your protein intake up during the day or at night when you are trying to cut carbs.

My favorite brand of this type is Iso-Pur. The protein is very bioavailable, and each shake is fat free and carbohydrate free. In one serving, you can take in 40 grams of protein. The taste of these shakes is also really good. I had an "Icy Orange" the other day and was thoroughly impressed with the fact that it actually tasted orangey.

The second type of protein shake is one designed to add mass. This is the type I would recommend for you. Usually, these types of shakes will come in huge tubs, sometimes up to ten pounds or more. The caloric content of these shakes is much higher than a regular protein shake. In one serving you can take in as much as 50g protein, 80g carbohydrates, and only 8g of fat. One serving (usually four scoops) can dump as many as 600 calories into your system.

These types of shakes are usually pretty difficult to drink. The richness makes the shake itself incredibly thick. One brand that I tried recently, MyoMass, was so thick that I almost had to eat it with a spoon. Combine a protein shake that is as thick as paste with a terrible taste, and you truly have an unpleasant mass-building experience. My personal choice for this type of protein shake is N-Large, by Prolab. Both vanilla and chocolate are palatable, and the shake itself is relatively thin, enabling you to drink it fairly rapidly without having to take a breather after every gulp. These types of shakes can be taken in place of meals, but are designed to be taken in between meals, as well as prior to bed in order to increase mass.

The third type of protein shake is meant specifically for meal replacement (MRP). These shakes tend to have a specific balance of carbs and protein, and are usually low in fat. A typical MRP might have 35g or so of protein, maybe 50g of carbs, and 5-10g of fat. These tend to have a fairly high caloric content, from 400-500 calories per serving. The main difference between these shakes and the other two are the extra vitamins and minerals that are added in order to make sure you get all the benefits of a well-rounded meal.

That is not to say that other protein shakes are lacking in vitamins; if you look on most labels you'll find all sorts of exotic vitamins and minerals that are supposed to help you build muscle. MRPs just have the more essential and less exotic vitamins and minerals such as riboflavin and calcium. As far as personal recommendations, sorry, but I don't really have any. I have never used MRPs because I enjoy eating real food too much. I couldn't bear skipping a good meal in favor of a drinkable one.

In the search for a protein shake that fits your personal needs, I have this to say -- make sure that it tastes okay; drinking some nauseating mixture every day will not be conducive to further pursuit of your fitness goals. Also make sure that the shakes aren't too expensive. After all, you will probably be consuming one or two a day, if you are serious about it. That may come out to be three or four dollars per day, if you buy one of the more expensive shakes. And lastly, buy in bulk. Not only does this save trips back and forth to the local supplement store, but it also saves money. With that said, good luck in your quest to find your own perfect protein powder.

Trending
The Tufts Daily Crossword with an image of a crossword puzzle
The Print Edition
Tufts Daily front page