Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 23, 2024

The Cheesecake Factory

There's a place that's suitable for just about any occasion. What is even better is that it can also satisfy just about anyone's appetite and food preference. If you have not been there yourself, you must at least have heard the name before: The Cheesecake Factory. Even if you have been there before, each time you go it is guaranteed to be as different from the last time as you decide to make it, especially since the menu has over 200 items.

The Cheesecake Factory is located in the Cambridge Side Galleria, at the Lechmere stop on the Green Line. If it is your first time going to The Cheesecake Factory, do not be intimidated by the amount of people standing between the door and the hosts. Its reputation is fantastic, and it is no longer a secret. Another thing to not be afraid of is the size. Inside, the restaurant is enormous, despite its small outdoor appearance.

As you make your way to the host, look to the left. You will see some of the most spectacular looking desserts, which would make you want to skip the main course if you had not been told of The Cheesecake Factory's mouthwatering entrees. If you are lucky enough to be seated right away, you will be greeted by a cheery, helpful, high-spirited server dressed in white from head to toe.

Ordering a drink is pretty standard at most places; a Coke, Sprite, beer, wine, etc. But at The Cheesecake Factory, you will have to a do a little more thinking than usual. Sure, you can get a Coke or a Sprite, but you can also get just about anything, since the restaurant has its own bar that is as extensive as the menu. If you feel lucky, try making a drink with your own ingredients. If you don't feel so inclined, a Coke with grenadine is a great choice.

The bread served before the meal just enhances your experience and decreases your patience for the main course and then dessert. You'll get two half-loaves; one sour dough and one pumpernickel. Both will be warm and come with butter. You might even want to get some more... okay, a lot more.

As you peruse the menu, you cannot help but notice how big it is. It has about 18 pages, but yet it still remains personal and will not overwhelm you.

If the atmosphere, the elegant ambience, service, and menu have not already convinced you that this place is for real, maybe something a little more concrete will convince you even before you really get into your food. How about the fact that there are commercial advertisements within the pages of the menu. The ads range from dry-cleaners to Mercedes-Benz ads, proving that all of these places know how busy The Cheesecake Factory gets and how much good business they do.

So, now you are ready to order. You have searched the menu, but there is a terrible problem: you want everything. Here are a few dishes in particular that will satisfy your appetite without a doubt. The filet mignon ($25), possibly the best at a restaurant chain in New England (you never would be able to guess that this place is part of a chain if you based it on food quality alone).

It comes with both onion rings and French fries. The filet itself is about ten ounces, and cooked to absolute perfection. It is tender, tasty, and healthier than most steaks since there is virtually no visible fat. Another must-have entr?©e is the Shrimp New Orleans ($18). They are blackened pieces of shrimp served with a mushroom sauce, all surrounding a mound of white rice right in the middle of the plate. Both of these dishes are exquisite.

The Cheesecake Factory can serve as a great date venue. Both people are guaranteed to at least enjoy their meals, no matter how bad things get. In fact, The Cheesecake Factory is an ideal place because it can make a lasting memory and be a nice, somewhat classy place to go, and the food will only make the evening more splendid (not to mention taking some of the stress off of choosing a place that might not turn out to be so great). On the other hand, if the date is not going so well, even if it turns out to be a disaster, the food may be your savior, as it will be impossible not to enjoy it.

Like all restaurants, there are a few downsides, however. The big one is the wait. If you go on a Friday or Saturday night and you want to eat dinner at 7:00 p.m., you better show up around 5:30 p.m. or 6:00 p.m.. If you end up getting there for dinner around 8:00 p.m., you might have to wait until 10:00 p.m. or even 10:30 p.m.. Fortunately, if this is the case, it is located in one of the larger malls in the Cambridge/Boston area. All in all, The Cheesecake Factory is a guaranteed good time.