Where you read it first | Friday, October 18, 2024

Women's softball has great expectations

With seven top-five finishes in New England in the past seven years, and aspirations of reaching the College World Series this season, the women's softball team begins its competitive schedule on Monday. Despite a few key losses to the roster, the team - currently ranked 22nd nationally - is packed with talent and experience.

Led by coach Kris Talon, last year's NESCAC Coach of the Year, as well as senior co-captains Jodie Moreau and Emily Ferrazza, the squad will look to finalize its lineup during its Spring Break trip to Orange, CA.

"We know we are one of the best teams in the region, and we have to go out and prove it in every game," Ferrazza said. "We have to play one game at a time and not look at the standings too much." Infield

Last year's entire experienced infield squad is returning, which raises only one question. Will there be enough room in the dugout to store all of the awards that these women have won? Behind the plate is junior catcher Lis Drake, who was named Second Team All-American, as well as First Team All-NESCAC. Hitting eight home runs last year, the sophomore set Tufts' single-season and career (15) records for home runs.

Second on Tufts' all-time home run list is first baseman Tiffany Trahan, a senior, who has 12 career dingers. Last season, Trahan was named to the First Team All-NESCAC as well, after batting .362 and knocking in 33 RBIs. Solid with the glove, Trahan only committed one error in 324 chances last season.

To her left will be Ferrazza, a solid second-baseman, whose leadership became apparent in the NCAA tournament last year when she batted .421 and scored six runs in the five postseason games as a leadoff hitter. As one of the four seniors on the team, Ferrazza is impressed with the team's experience.

"We have a ton of leadership on the team this year," she said. "Jodie and I have completely different personalities, so our leadership styles compliment each other well."

Ferrazza's double-play partner will be senior Jen Mackey, who led the team last year with a .377 batting average and 33 runs scored. Also a First Team All-NESCAC selection, the shortstop will provide a lot of on-field leadership. Sophomore Deana Davidian assumed the starting role at third base last year, and thrived, hitting .321 and scoring 20 runs. With a year of college ball under her belt, Davidian should continue to improve in the competitive collegiate atmosphere.

Outfield

To offset the certainty in the infield positions, two of the three outfield positions are completely up for grabs this year, as a transfer and graduation took two solid outfielders from the team. Replacing graduate Third Team All-American Randee McArdle will be no easy feat, as the center-fielder led last year's squad in hits, doubles, triples, RBIs, and slugging percentage. Jenica Spogen, a sophomore last year, also transferred, and her strong bat will also be sorely missed.

Junior Nikki Blotner will reprise her role as the starting right fielder this season, but the center and left field positions are still up in the air, as a few returning players and freshmen are vying for these spots.

"We will miss them," Trahan said of McArdle, Spogen, and graduated pitcher Rachel Brecher. "They are great people and players. Hopefully the freshmen will step up."

Among the players competing for the two vacancies are sophomores Maggie McClory, Julie Fox, and Pam Swidler and freshman Courtney Bongiolatti.

"At this point, we don't know who is going to play in the outfield," Ferrazza said. "Whoever steps up is who coach will start."

Pitching

Although the Jumbos have only one definite starter at the moment, no one is overly concerned, as Moreau has established herself as one of the best pitchers in the region. Last year, she went 17-5 with a 1.33 ERA, fanning 129 batters.

"When Jodie is pitching she always throws ground balls," Fezzarra said. It is great playing behind her, but there are never any easy games in this league."

Returning to the pitching staff are McClory and sophomore Kasey Lindsey, whose exact roles are not yet known. Swidler, a transfer student, and freshman Caroline Grieco may also see some time on the mound.

"We have a great group of freshmen," Ferrazza said. "They are fitting in well and they are hard working."

Coaches

Talon has established herself as one of the premier Div. III coaches in the nation. in the past eight years, the team has posted a 207-85-2 record. Assistant coaches Cheryl Milligan and Cora Thompson helped Talon win the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) New England Region Coaching Staff of the Year in 2001. Ranked 21st nationally last year, and tenth the year before, Talon has set high standards for the program, and the team has answered her challenges year in and year out.

Outlook

The 2002 edition of the women's softball team seems to have all the pieces in place to put up another stellar season. Last year, it won the first ever NESCAC championship, and repeating that feat is the primary goal of the team. Aspirations of being one of the eight teams in the College World Series are another. The spring break trip should also answer questions about starting roles and will give the team a chance to prepare for the upcoming conference schedule.

The California games are a great opportunity to see some of the best softball in the country," Ferrazza said. "We will be able to see what we are going to face for the rest of the year and we will get to play [conference rival] Williams out there."