Where you read it first | Tuesday, October 1, 2024

How to be a campus superstar

You've seen the posters plastered all over the library steps, or tripped while reading a chalking while on your way to the campus center. And you must have certainly heard the enthusiastic yelps of invitation at the a cappella concert last night: "The so-and-sos are having auditions next week....my number is ALL over campus, and I want to see ALL of YOU there!"

If you're creatively inclined, then these notices may hold spark the beginning of your performance "career" at Tufts. But with so many choices, where should you begin?

The best bet is to sign your name to any audition list that strikes your fancy -chances are that at least one will be a success, and you can always decide between your offers later. If things don't work out, don't let your ego suffer from feelings of rejection. Remember that the freshman class alone is probably more than twice the size of your entire high school, so you're competing against a much larger pool of talent. Just keep trying - there are always minor theatrical productions cropping up all semester.

And now, without further adieu, the Daily presents your guide to auditioning for a cappella groups, plays, and more for the coming semester.

A Cappella

You've probably been hearing all about Tufts' a cappella scene from the moment you stepped on the hill as a pre-frosh. As your tour guide passed by Goddard Chapel, he or she likely ticked off the accolades of Tufts' six a cappella groups. Though each ensemble has its own distinct flavor, expect the audition process for each to be the same: sing a pop or rock solo (a cappella, of course), sing a few scales and pitch-matching exercises, and then learn and a harmony parts to one of the group's songs and perform it with the other members for blending purposes.

The Amalgamates

The Mates, as they are affectionately called around campus, are Tufts' oldest coed a cappella group. The singers have long had a reputation for excellence - most noted by the several national awards given to their latest album, Juice. Look for their next album, Bamboo, due out later this semester.

The Beelzebubs

The Bubs have a cult following on campus, thanks not only to their vocal talents but to their reputation of being all-around dynamic performers. The all-male a cappella group is happening upon its 40th year on the hill, and their most recent album was a live performance with Bubs alumni, who are always an active force in the group.

Essence

This all-female group specializes in singing music from the African Diaspora. Though its vocal percussion sounds aren't as heavy as some of the other groups, Essence's smooth soulful sounds make for some of the best blending on campus.

The Jackson Jills

The Jills, or the girls in black, as their frequent concert attire suggests, are Tufts' oldest all-female a cappella group. Along with the Mates and the Bubs, they are the third part of the trio of the original a cappella groups on the hill before newer groups like Essence and SQ! were formed.

Shir Appeal

Tufts' only coed Jewish a cappella group sings mostly in Hebrew, but it will occasionally take on a "Jewish-flavored" song in English (such as "If You Believe" from The Prince of Egypt). Closely affiliated with Tufts Hillel, the group often performs at synagogues around the area.

SQ!

The newest coed addition to the a cappella scene, SQ! was founded in 1994 by a group of engineers looking for the fun of singing together and performing around the community - but without the stress.

Drama and Dance Department

The callboard that hangs just outside the Balch Arena Theater is the best place to find out about happenings in the Drama and Dance departments. New announcements are posted all the time, so you should make a habit of checking it out if you're super-interested in being involved. The callboard is also the place to go to sign up for audition appointments, and right now there are three upcoming productions to chose from.

Broadway

The first of three plays in the Drama Department's Balch Arena season is George Abbot's all-American comedy Broadway, which showcases the lifestyles of bootleggers and chorus girls in the roaring '20s. Directed by drama Professor Laurence Senelick, the comedy-melodrama captures the glamour and romance of a bygone era. The other Drama Department shows for this coming year include Stephen Sondheim's A Little Night Music and William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

Dangerous Liaisons

The racy French drama Dangerous Liaisons takes center stage as this fall's Pen, Pain, and Pretzels (3P's) major production. A 1988 movie by the same name stars such notables as Glenn Close and John Malkovich. The story was also used as the basis for the film Cruel Intentions.

Godspell

This fall's Torn Ticket II major is based on the Gospel According to St. Matthew. The show takes the religious parables of Jesus as well as several of his most notable sermons and brings them to life on stage through drama, music, and acrobatics.

Cheap Sox

This improvisational comedy troupe is best known for its hysterical audience participation sketches. Cheap Sox is always good for more than just a few laughs, and people trying out for the group note that the audition process is so fun that they enjoyed the experience regardless of whether they were accepted into the group.

Hype!

They don't say much, but Tufts' only mime troupe is quickly coming into its own. A fairly recent addition to the Tufts drama scene, Hype! incorporates music and movement to create their own original pieces.

Traveling Treasure Trunk

A partnership between the Drama Department and the Leonard Carmichael Society, Traveling Treasure Trunk performs short plays adapted from children's stories at schools and hospitals throughout the area.

Music Department

The Music Department boasts a plethora of ensembles, ranging from the more traditional Tufts Symphony Orchestra (TSO) and Chorale, to the experimental New Music Ensemble and Kiniwe, an African drumming group. Singers have the opportunity to sing with both the Chorale and the smaller Chamber Singers, which has plans for a tour of Spain this coming spring. The Tufts Opera Ensemble provides opportunities to perform scenes from major operas. Instrumentalists can take their pick from the larger ensembles like TSO (which will travel to Germany later this year), Tufts Wind Ensemble or a variety of smaller groups.

Students performing in music department ensembles have the option of receiving academic credit for their participation. Sign-ups for all of these groups can be found on the bulletin board in the Music Department office at 20 Professor's Row.