Where you read it first | Thursday, October 17, 2024

Text of the pledge by Peace and Justice Studies pledge

A Response and Pledge from the Tufts Community

As members of the Tufts community we:

-express our dismay at the large loss of innocent life, our compassion for the suffering endured by the families and friends of the victims, and our own sense of violation brought by the criminal attacks on September 11;

-urge that the search for justice be focused specifically on the perpetrators of the crime itself;

-urge that the search for justice avoid the unwarranted and dangerous targeting of entire religions, nationalities, and other social groups;

-will support only a search for justice that respects our historical commitment to civil liberties, due process, and diversity.

At a time when the issue of security and feelings of vulnerability are especially acute, we are aware that some members of our community do not feel safe. Arabs, Arab-Americans, Muslims, and those mistaken as being from the Middle East have been targeted by hostile comments and hateful messages from others on this campus. These acts of demonization are real threats to those who receive them and to all who support civility, democracy, and peace.

In response to the tragedy, we shall participate in the healing process and do whatever we can to provide support for those in need. We will offer alternatives to measures that perpetuate the cycle of violence. And we pledge ourselves to respond directly to any violation of tolerance and mutual respect that may occur within the Tufts community.