Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Explosive third quarter leads Tufts to 35-20 win at Wesleyan

The Tufts football team scored five touchdowns - three fewer than all of last season - in Saturday's 35-20 victory over the Wesleyan Cardinals. Junior quarterback Scott Treacy threw for three scores, while junior running back Keven Kelley ran for two more in the team's opening day win.

The Cardinals, who went into the locker room trailing 14-7, quickly evened the score, as sophomore quarterback Brennan Carney threw a 27-yard pass to Sam Fletcher just 1:34 and four plays into the half. From there, Tufts took control in the decisive third quarter, as Kelley broke loose touchdown runs of 40 and five yards. Treacy chipped in with a nine yard pass to sophomore tight end Ryan Pappi.

"It was anyone's game at halftime," senior co-captain, offensive guard Mike Willey said. "But we pulled away in the third quarter."

The three scores came on consecutive possessions and contributed to Tufts' most prolific offensive third quarter in a while. For comparison, the Jumbos scored a total of 13 points in eight third quarters last season. Further, Kelley's two rushing scores matched the total number of rushing touchdowns posted by Jumbo running backs last season. Kelley added 168 yards rushing on the afternoon.

Aside from Kelley, the story on the stat sheet was Treacy. The junior spent most of last season alternating playing time with junior Todd Scalia, but as the lone starter, Treacy did what was expected of him. The quarterback had no interceptions, was 10-17 for 74 yards, ran for another 27, and threw for three touchdowns.

"Scott Treacy played well," Willey said. "He didn't throw the ball all that much, but when he did, he made the completions."

While the passing stats won't blow anyone away, minimizing mistakes and converting in the red zone is exactly what Tufts needs out of its quarterback this season. Last year, Treacy threw only one touchdown to five interceptions. Treacy attributes his improvement, which the team hopes is a trend, to experience.

"I feel a lot more comfortable in the pocket now," the quarterback said. "And I understand the offense better. I'm also playing with more confidence."

If Kelley and Treacy were impressive on the stat sheet, then the offensive line was equally strong, only quieter. The veteran unit moved the Cardinals off the ball all day, forfeiting only one sack and allowing Tufts to run for a total of 315 yards. The Jumbos planned to establish a ground game from the outset by using three separate backs, Kelley, junior Chuck McGraw, and senior Renato DePaolis, and the strategy was successful. McGraw scampered for 78 yards, receiving for another 31 and a touchdown. DePaolis only had four carries for 17 yards, but still adds a third dimension to the running game.

"We played well," Willey said. "We established some dominance up front. We have some talented backs back there as well, which helps."

While the offensive production was a surprise to even the most confident of Jumbos' supporters, the defensive play was strong, as expected. There were lapses, which is not unusual for a unit in its first game in a new defensive system, however the defense did enough against a great quarterback to keep the team in the game. The most telling was its ability to hold the Cardinals in the third quarter as the offense ran away with the game.

"On offense we played well," graduate student, defensive lineman Everett Dickerson said. "And the defense was there to back them up."

Carney was NESCAC Rookie of the Year last season, so the Jumbos had their hands full all day, but were able to do enough to keep Carney's team from lighting up the scoreboard. Senior cornerback Howie Rock had an interception, as did junior defensive end Brian Burbank. The Jumbos also got to Carney twice by way of the sack.

The sophomore quarterback was able to put up impressive numbers, despite two picks and sacks. He went 21-42 for 198 yards and three touchdowns. Two of the scores and 148 of the yards went to senior receiver George Thompson. The final Cardinals score came late in the fourth quarter with Tufts ahead 35-14.

"The d-line definitely has to improve their pass rush game," Dickerson said. "Our pressure was okay, but we could have done better. If we can get more pressure on the quarterback, then he'll be more nervous and more likely to make a mistake."

For Tufts, it was its first win against Wesleyan since 1991, and its first victory in Middletown, Ct. since the end of the Reagan administration.

"It was a great win," Dickerson said. "It's a great way to start the season. If our attitude stays the same, we definitely have a good shot at being successful."

If Treacy continues to produce scores without mistakes and the defense can hold teams in clutch situations, Tufts can compete with anyone in the league. Of course, 168 yards rushing from any of the three backs always helps, as it will next week when Tufts heads to Bates, a 41-7 loser to Trinity this weekend.