Where you read it first | Saturday, August 10, 2024

What is at the end of a Tuftonian rainbow?

At the end of a Tuftonian rainbow you'll probably see obscene messages written in chalk or vulgar images drawn in the snow. In the restrooms at the end of that rainbow, you may encounter people having sex or you might be videotaped and end up on a gay website. And you can bet there will be an obscene, indecent seminar for children at the end of the Tuftonian rainbow.

I will now explain how I have been driven to political activism. I have done nothing more radical than has been done by the TTLGBC or TSAD. It ought to be clear now how this administration of invertebrates panders to the radical left, if you didn't already know that. I have been treated like a second class member of this community, my concerns have been ignored, and I have been a political prisoner. I am tired of the hypocrisy and the double standards.

If I exhibit the qualities of a homophobe, who is to blame? I do have some legitimate fears. I will give you my list of offenses for which the TTLGBC, TSAD, and these "anonymous" vulgarians are responsible.

It was my first semester in the fall of 98 and I had my grandmother, sister, and five-year-old niece visiting me on campus. It was my first time reading a TTLGBC chalking and we read all the classics: "lesbians love bush," "heterosexuals suck," and "jumbo the gay elephant...wanna take a ride?" My family was not interested in riding, and I wonder if "side show" Mel Bernstein's mom would like to ride the gay elephant. My niece, being an inquisitive young student from Tufts University day care, pointed and asked me, "Uncle Marky, what does that say?" I explained to her as best I could what "homos," "dykes," and "queers" were, as it was written all over the place. My family was upset and what should have been a pleasant stroll across the campus turned out to be a great disappointment. When I complained to Dean Reitman, I was given a crash course in free speech and told that they had done nothing wrong. I called Carl, who was a high ranking official with the TTLGBC at the time, and when I told him that I found the chalkings offensive, he replied by saying that perhaps I was just too sensitive. After this lesson in Tuftonian free speech, I wondered how free controversial speech from the other end of the political spectrum might be.

The chalkings, which have continued ever since that day, were not enough on their own to force me to action. I expressed myself by writing satires of the school in my language classes and went about my business. I do not recall exactly when the TCF controversy began, but it was well underway by the end of the Spring 2000 semester. In May of 2000, Tufts University made the news for hosting an obscene seminar for children, and that's when I became very concerned about Tuftonian politics. My darling niece was enrolled in the Tufts University day care program and I was concerned about some radicalito imposing their ideology on her.

I met with Dr. Zeller and found out that if a male student serving as a special friend wanted to identify himself as a woman, then he could do so in front of the students, but at least they couldn't wear pink triangles in the classroom (my niece loves all things pink). I met with President DiBiaggio concerning the seminar and it was difficult to be upset with the kindly old man. He assured me that Tufts University had nothing to do with it, but I knew it was no coincidence that they had chosen Tufts to host this brainwashing.

I then decided to meet with our champion of diversity, "side show" Mel Bernstein. I brought the "confronting intolerance" pamphlet with which he had invaded my home, and I wanted to challenge his "tolerance." When I asked him if I would be able to reserve a room and use Tufts University funds to advertise for a discussion on the decriminalization of incest, I was told "no." When I referred to his pamphlet, he contradicted everything in it. He was clearly intolerant of this alternative lifestyle.

Is it less acceptable for two siblings of the opposite sex to be attracted to one another than for two members of the same sex? Although I am not comfortable sharing a very small military field tent with a homosexual, I would not feel uncomfortable sharing this with a man who is attracted to his sister.

With the struggle over religious rights still underway in the fall of 2000, I heard about the most disturbing incident yet. I heard on the radio about the camera found in the bathroom of Tisch. That day, I decided to use the woman's restroom, as I did not feel safe in the men's one. After having a girl verify that it was empty, I went in to wait for the police. I wanted to bring more attention to the subject, but Paul Stanton and the police talked me out of being arrested. They were actually very understanding of my concerns, and I was surprised when, as far as I'm concerned, the TUPD lied to justify my arrest at the cannon.

At the end of the fall 2000 semester, the TSAD storm troopers occupied Bendetson. I admired their courage and audacity, not fully realizing that they were untouchable. I decided that I would not be bullied in my own neighborhood, and believing that their banners clearly violated pachyderm policy, I decided to remove them. During this, I was confronted by a person working the table in front of the building. When asked why I did it, I explained how I felt and how I thought that their actions were unjustified. I felt she at least deserved an explanation. She later filed a complaint against me, accusing me of making horrible, hateful, and racial comments. It was then that I realized just what I was up against. Her accusations were insensible, inconsistent, and illogical, and her vicious slandering only served to strengthen my resolve. I have never once used the word hate, and even if I felt that way, I would never be foolish enough to say it. This girl is a disservice to the cause she wishes to represent and a discredit to the decent gay people in the community. Unfortunately, this is not the only time stories have been fabricated about me to defame me. And by the way, no action was taken against me for that incident, as I was upholding the university policy when this flaccid administration would not.

Earlier this semester, penises were drawn in the snow at the base of the memorial steps, and my niece had been sledding up here just a week before (these are my ancestral sledding grounds). After reporting this (how many apathetic students just passed by?), I began to complain about the "imagine a campus" stickers that still had not been removed and one in particular in a certain restroom. All Veronica Carter could say was, "Why do you have a problem with this message? Why do you have a problem with these people?" My political views should not have had anything to do with it. It was a clear violation of policy and it should have been removed. Before long, an advertisement for the tufts poetry society was placed in this restroom, and it discussed sexuality. In addition to the restroom's being off limits to such advertising, I felt that this flier and the sticker created an unhealthy environment in the restroom (we all know what happens when Tufts students bring sexuality into the restroom). My concerns were disregarded and it took some time to have them removed. When I wanted to file a complaint, I was told I could not. It was during this time that I saw the cannon painted with rainbow colors and an advertisement for Kids Day. Here at Tufts University a rainbow is not just a rainbow. It is a political agenda. And I just wanted to send a message to the rainbow-philes here on campus. There is already a history here of imposing ideologies on children, look how quickly my expression was covered by the powers of oppression.

I was upset at how the University silenced my free speech, and on top of that, the next week, there was another much more obscene flyer in the same restroom. This is when I decided to paint the cannon another time. This time I wanted to see how far they'd go to silence me.

First, I'd like to apologize to the lads of Sigma Nu. Nothing personal, guys. I didn't mean to cover up your painting, but I really had to express myself. Next, I'd like to apologize to all the Yankee fans. What I said about the Yankees is just not true. They're the best team in baseball, but to a Bostonian like me, they'll always suck. If I raised my voice, it was to include all the people in the conversation. I was justifying what I was writing, and I was explaining all the misconduct that has taken place here at Tufts. I felt that visiting students had a right to know how safe the restrooms are here. I was not belligerent and I was disorderly only in my refusal to stop painting, which was unlawful. For the police, justice did not matter, only allegiance to their tyrannical master. They tried to enforce "unwritten policy" on me, but they won't enforce actual violations of actual policy. The new stickers on that day said TTLGBC right on them. But did the administration hold them accountable?

I have never said that I hate anyone. I am a lover, in fact I have so much love to give, that I would eventually love to have numerous bisexual wives. That is my alternative lifestyle. Thank you, Tufts University, for helping me come to terms with, and be true to my sexual identity. I usually keep my sexuality to myself, but I'm forced to prove that I'm not hateful. I am registered as an independent, and I don't judge anyone's lifestyle. Morality is relative. Finally, I would like to see an end to the rampant public obscenity and vulgarity that takes place here on campus. My niece lives on one side of the hill and goes to school on the other. And did you know the Tufts University day care takes the children for walks up here on campus (I wonder if it is safe to do that)? You can imagine a campus free from Mark Sutherland, but I will be keeping an eye on you long after I graduate. My family lives here, my dead are buried here, and I will not relinquish the high ground.

Trending
The Tufts Daily Crossword with an image of a crossword puzzle
The Print Edition
Tufts Daily front page