Where you read it first | Saturday, October 19, 2024

The Phantom haunts the Wang

Since its world premiere in 1986 in London, Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera has earned its place among the most loved and well-known musicals of the late twentieth century. Its appeal is widespread - children are in awe of the special effects, and adults are easily consumed by the Phantom's passion for his Christine and the suspense that is the musical's backbone. This month, the legend lives on at the Wang Theatre with the Cameron Mackintosh/Really Useful Theatre Company, Inc.'s production of the timeless classic.

The Phantom of the Opera has been performed worldwide over 48,000 times in 15 countries and in 91 different cities. The fifth longest-running Broadway production of all time, it has won countless accolades, including a handful at the 1988 Tony Awards, and seven Drama Desk Awards. In addition, several film adaptations have been produced since 1925, surpassing Titanic and Star Wars with box office sales of over $3 billion.

Based on Gaston Leroux's novel Le Fantome de l'Opera, The Phantom of the Opera is the haunting tale of a mysterious masked figure who haunts the Paris Opera House and terrorizes all those who inhabit it. The Phantom falls madly in love with a young, promising soprano, and dedicates himself to nurturing her talents while continuing in his evil ways so as to maintain his grip on the theater.

Under the direction of the accomplished Harold Prince, this latest production of The Phantom of the Opera is among the most triumphant. It succeeds in being a technical masterpiece without losing sight of its artistic subtleties and musical genius. Romance, suspense, and lots of laughs come together, making it one of the most thrilling and satisfying theater experiences this season.

This is the third national tour of The Phantom of the Opera, and the production boasts a 36-member cast of unparalleled actors - they sing, they dance, and yes, they even act. Ted Keegan returns to the role he perfected as a member of the Broadway company as the elusive yet ever-present Phantom. He comes and goes as he pleases but never lets the audience forget that he is hidden somewhere in the wings. When interacting with the entire cast, there's no doubting the power he has over the Paris Opera House actors. Despite his horrific appearance and reign of terror, Keegan succeeds in inspiring a certain kind of compassion for his desolate fate.

Rebecca Pitcher plays the endearing and ethereal Christine Daa?©, the Phantom's romantic obsession. Like Keegan, she is a Broadway veteran and no stranger to Phantom - her graceful stage presence is unmistakable, and she manages to hit all the high notes without giving you a headache.

John Cudia, who has previously appeared on Broadway in Les Miserables, plays Raoul and Vicomte de Chagny. Musically, Cudia holds his own with a well-trained voice that carries him through some of the most difficult songs of the musical. But he lacks the stage presence necessary to be a convincing antithesis to the evil Phantom.

Of course, there is more to the show than just romance and suspense. The musical is often comical, thanks to interactions between the diva Carlotta Giudicelli (Julie Schmidt), the equally pompous first tenor Ubaldo Piangi (Ray Gabbard), and opera house director Monsieur Firmin (David Cryer). The three engage in humorous arguments ranging from whom will be given what role in the next Paris Opera House production, to the various letters and threats from the Phantom addressing the opera house's inhabitants. These comical exchanges are a welcome change of pace from the flashing lights, haunting music, and falling chandeliers that make The Phantomof the Opera the musical thriller it is meant to be.

The Phantom of the Opera is an enormous undertaking, not only in terms of the demands made on the performers but also the technical difficulties of staging a production of such enormity. Thanks to production designer Maria Bjornson, each of the 22 scene shifts is seamless. Despite numerous special effects ranging from pyrotechnics to smoke and fog, the entire production goes off without a hitch. The additional efforts of lighting designer Andrew Bridge, sound designer Martin Levan, and a stage crew of 60, make this production one of the most dazzling and mesmerizing the stage has ever scene.

Above all, The Phantomof the Opera owes its magic to the music. Thanks to the talents of the orchestra, every nuance of Andrew Lloyd Webber's score comes to life. The audience can sense the level of interaction between the musicians in the pit and the singers on the stage, an element that is often lost in productions of such size and grandeur. The voices and instruments are perfectly in sync, resulting in a cohesive musical performance that goes hand in hand with the seamless staging.

The Phantom of the Opera is a little piece of history, a little piece of culture, and a whole lot of singing and dancing that definitely make it worth a trip into Boston. Whether you've seen the show over a dozen times and have every verse of "Think of Me" memorized, or have yet to experience the magic of the mask, the production at the Wang is one you certainly do not want to miss.