Where you read it first | Monday, September 9, 2024

Men's baseball looks to fill gaps

Any true fan will tell you that what happens when winter releases its grasp and the first buds bloom on the trees. In a word: Baseball.

Baseball's unique hold on American culture is evident at Tufts, where in years past coach John Casey's teams have become not only one of the most feared Division III opponents, but one of New England's top programs. Last year's squad finished with an impressive 26-12 mark and a noteworthy 8-2 record against southern squads, teams with a distinct seasonal advantage. But to equal or surpass last season's success, the Jumbos' must overcome key personal losses.

"We are a fairly young club," Casey said. "We're especially young on the mound. 130 innings of pitching is gone from last year; that was 40 percent of our pitching."

Most of that pitching came from the graduated Zack Brown, who pitched his way to a 7-2 record last year and an impressive 1.41 earned run average. In 70 innings he only walked six men and received numerous national awards.

"To be honest," sophomore shortstop Brian Shapiro said, "Zack Brown's shoes will be hard to fill."

Nonetheless, the Jumbos have some quality arms. At the top of the rotation is Steve Lapham, a hard-throwing righty who, as a junior, has the most seniority on the staff. Behind Lapham will be Jon Lee, a right-handed sophomore with an excellent curveball. Lee struck out 45 men in 53 innings last season. An X-factor will be sophomore Dave Martin, who pitched inconsistently in limited action last season.

"Dave has gotten some velocity this season," his catcher, co-captain Joe Surprenant, said. "He's getting the ball in, and he's really learning how coach Casey wants pitchers to pitch. He has good movement on his pitches," he said.

Martin's elevated role cannot be overstated; he will pitch every third game and his ability to throw consistently behind Lee and Lapham could go a long way in determining Tufts' success. Behind Martin could be hard-throwing freshman Randall Newsom. "Randy has a decent curve, a good change, and a live fastball," Surprenant said.

Shapiro saw action on the mound last year. Probably the team's hardest thrower, he will likely be utilized as a late-inning reliever.

"There's a big difference between talent and performance," Casey said. "Our pitchers certainly have the talent to do good things, but there's a big difference between pitching with certainty ahead of you and having no pressure, and being a top guy. It's easy to win without expectations."

If there is certainty on Casey's squad, it is in the outfield where are all three spots are filled. Co-captain, senior Todd Boutwell, who led the team with a .400 average last year, will start in left, while junior Dan Callahan will start in right. Patrolling the depths of center field will be sophomore Evan Zupancic.

"Our outfield is shored up," Casey said. "They of course have to play well to hang on to their jobs, but right now they're the guys. Of course, a lot of pressure comes with that, and we'll know pretty soon how they'll handle it."

But the outfield is the exception rather than the rule. The Jumbo pitching staff and infield are full of uncertainty. Co-captain Joe Surprenant will don the tools of ignorance.

"Catching is a unique position," he said. "I really try to be the voice on defense." Junior Tim Ayres returns at first base after of a year in which he knocked in a solid 29 runs and hit .328. Shapiro will try to make the move back to his home at shortstop.

"I played short all my life until last year," Shapiro said. "I feel more comfortable there. I'm just happy coach is giving me the opportunity."

Second base, third base, and the designated hitter slot will not be filled until this coming week. Seniors Kevin Marotta and Cory Dolich, and freshman Nick Pelange, who has played well at second according to Casey, will compete for playing time.

The 2001 edition of Tufts baseball travels down south on Friday with many questions unanswered. Unfortunately for Tufts, the Jumbos will be forced to take the field for games that count without the benefit of many outdoor practices.

"It's tough," Surprenant said. "Our outfielders haven't shagged flies yet, we haven't been outside all year, and we're playing teams with records like 9-2, 10-2."

"That's the nature of baseball in the northeast," Casey said. We don't have time to complain about it because we get down there and start playing. Guys have to seize the jobs; there's no time for easing into anything. All the games count down South, so we can't dig ourselves a hole."