Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Jumbos slash weak Gordon lacrosse team

The men's lacrosse team enters Saturday's 1:00 p.m. game against the Trinity Bantams coming off a solid 14-8 victory over an unimpressive Gordon College Scotts squad. The showdown against the last non-conference opponent this season was not as easy as it should have been, as the weak Scotts pulled to within four goals in the fourth period 11-7. Senior co-captain Dan Kollar led the way for the Jumbos with four goals, all in the second quarter as they improved their record to 4-1 on the season.

The easy schedule that Tufts has enjoyed thus far will come to a screeching halt on Saturday when they face the 2-1 Bantams kicking off the always-competitive NESCAC schedule for the Jumbos. Tufts enters the contest three games over five hundred after a positive trip down South. The squad's biggest victory was over Hamilton, a team that has already beaten Trinity this season.

Through five games it has been Kollar and junior Jon Zissi, who have provided the bulk of the scoring, each with 20 points. However, if the Jumbos hope to win on Saturday, it is the defense that must step it up. Sophomore defenseman Mike Morley leads a defense that must contain pre-season All-American and co-captain Mike Tassie of Trinity.

Junior co-captain David Supple will also play an important role from his midfield position. Supple provides a physical presence on the field for the Jumbos as well as an offensive weapon. Sophomore Alex Kerwin is also emerging as a solid starter at midfield coming off a hat trick against the Scotts.

The Bantams' Tassie recorded 36 points en route to earning first team All-NESCAC honors as a junior. He will lead a Trinity team that racked up 19 goals in its last win against New England College.

"Tassie is the focal point of their offense," Zissi said.

After Tassie, the Bantams will look to sophomore Ravi Pillay for scoring punch. Junior co-captains Jeff Bruno and Matt Gjerulff anchor the stingy Trinity defense.

While the Jumbos continue their season-to-season improvement under coach Mike Daly, Trinity plays under the long time leadership of reigning NESCAC Coach of the Year Mike Darr. Darr has been on the sidelines for the Bantams for 23 seasons now compiling a record of 140-130. Following a 9-5 campaign in 2000, Darr must fill the void left by the loss of four All-League players to graduation.

Junior goalkeeper Kurt Ludwyler will enter the game hoping to maintain his hot start. Through the first four games, Ludwyler is carrying an 8.25 goals against average (GAA), over two goals less than his career average.

"Ludwyler is the captain of our defense," Supple said. "Ludwyler's increased experience and confidence has caused his GAA to go down, but as a whole, we can definitely play better so there is further room for improvement."

Entering the game, Daly prefers his team not to think about the opponent, instead he says he wants it "to control what we have been controlling all along: ourselves."

The game will set the tone for the all-important NESCAC season. In NESCAC play, Daly knows that mental mistakes will cost the Jumbos games.

"Mental breakdowns cost us goals (against Gordon), against good teams that will really hurt us."