Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Got Whole Grains?

Grains have received bad press recently, with many articles warning that they cause weight gain, increase hunger, and sabotage diets. But only claims that refer to refined grains - those that make up the 'typical' American diet - can be considered true. When you're talking about whole grains, it's a whole different story.

Most grain products in the American diet are heavily refined - that is, their outer parts have been removed during milling to make them easier to use in cooking. But the process of milling leads to the stripping of many vitamins, minerals, and other disease-fighting components.

All whole grains have bran, endosperm, and germ layers. During the milling process, the bran and germ parts are removed. The bran is the outer coating or "shell" of the grain, which is high in B vitamins, trace minerals such as copper and zinc, and fiber. The germ is the part that would grow into a new wheat plant if sown; it is also known as the embryo. The germ is a rich source of B vitamins and vitamin E.

The endosperm is the middle of the grain and the part that remains after the bran and germ have been removed. The endosperm, which is high in starch, but relatively low in vitamins and fiber, is then ground up and made into flour. Examples of refined grain products made with flour include white breads and other baked goods, pasta, crackers, and white rice - the majority of a 'typical' American diet.

Not only is a refined grain devoid of several beneficial nutrients, but its glycemic index is increased. The glycemic index measures the rate at which carbohydrates break down into sugar once they are eaten. When you eat a food with a high glycemic index, you will feel less full than if you ate a food with a lower glycemic index.

But not all grain products have a high-glycemic index. Whole grain products, and other high-fiber foods, have low-glycemic indexes, whereas refined grains - grains that are stripped of fiber - have high-glycemic indexes. When grains get 'bad press,' it is based on the premise that they have a high-glycemic index.

Do not be fooled by 'enriched' grain products; enrichment replaces most of the B vitamins like thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin, but it does not replace any of the fiber, vitamin E, or trace minerals from the bran, lost in the milling process.

Eating a variety of plant foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is an important part of a healthy diet and offers numerous health benefits. According to the Food and Nutrition Board, when trying to maintain variety in your diet, you should focus on the grain, vegetable, and fruit groups to ensure adequate intakes of substances known to minimize the risk of disease.

Unfortunately, people tend to think of a grain as a grain, rather than a refined one versus a whole grain. And since supermarkets are teeming with processed foods, whole grains are not commonly incorporated into the daily American diet. But by omitting them from the diet, you could be missing out on some enormous health benefits.

Health benefits of whole grains

( Whole grains, as well as plant foods in general, can reduce the symptoms of chronic constipation, diverticular disease, and hemorrhoids.

( Whole grains are a good source of cholesterol-lowering and cancer-fighting components.

( Whole grains take longer to digest, which allows more nutrients to be broken down and absorbed into the blood stream.

( Whole grains help regulate blood sugar by slowing down the conversion of complex carbohydrates into sugar. In fact, low-glycemic index foods such as whole grains reduce hunger and can help to control weight, according to scientists at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center at Tufts.

( Whole grains are a concentrated source of protective antioxidants and other phytochemicals.

Whole grains

We all know about whole oats and brown rice, but there are many more whole grains out there that you may not have considered. These are easy to prepare and can be included in a variety of tasty recipes.

Here are a few examples of exotic grains that are quick and easy to prepare, and contain far more vitamins and minerals than their more commonly eaten processed counterparts.

MILLET

This grain is packed with B vitamins, and is also a source of copper and iron. These tiny yellow to reddish beads far outdo whole wheat as a source of B vitamins, and are so mild in taste they can be combined with any flavor. Millets' versatility is boundless; it can be made as a hot cereal, used in casseroles, and substituted for rice in any recipe.

QUINOA (pronounced keen-wah)

Quinoa can be termed the 'super grain' because it is overflowing with nutrients and has multiple uses. Quinoa has a very mild taste and a light, non-sticky texture with a pleasant crunch, which comes from its external germ layer. Quinoa is higher in iron than other grains and is a good source of many other key nutrients like folate, zinc, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, magnesium, and phosphorous. It can be used as rice is, but with many more nutrients and the same taste.

AMARANTH

This whole grain is high in calcium, folate, iron, and soluble fiber. Amaranth is another good alternative to rice with a sweet, nutty flavor. Like quinoa, amaranth could also be considered a supergrain with its abundance of nutrients. Amaranth's high content of soluble fiber gives the added bonus of helping to lower cholesterol levels.

WHOLE-WHEAT

Whole-wheat comes in many different forms: bulgur, cracked wheat, and wheat berries, among others. Despite their varying shapes and sizes, all of these wheat products are chock-full of insoluble fiber, which may help prevent colon cancer. They are also good sources of the B vitamins and minerals.

Bulgur: whole-wheat kernels that have been cracked into different-size granules.

Cracked Wheat: whole-wheat kernels that have been ground into different granulations for quicker cooking.

Wheat berries: another name for whole-wheat kernels in their unprocessed state.