Where you read it first | Sunday, October 20, 2024

Bridget Jones vs. the Smug Marrieds

Welcome to the world of Bridget Jones, where each day is consumed by losing weight, quitting smoking, reducing alcohol intake, and an unending preoccupation with being a 30-something Singleton. Set in London, Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones' Diary chronicles the daily life of a single and self-conscious female for a year, beginning with her New Year's Resolutions, which range from "reduce circumference of thighs by 3 inches" to developing "sense of self as woman of substance, complete without boyfriend."

In case you haven't noticed yet, this is not a novel for guys. With references to Cosmopolitan magazine, the intricacies of throwing a successful dinner party, and "emotional f-kwittage," it's definitely geared towards women and their insecurities. By the same token, you could argue that the novel isn't even for girls- the main character, after all, is a woman in her early thirties whose biggest concern is the search for a suitable husband. But Bridget Jones is so endearing that it is easy for women of all ages to relate to her laments over being single.

Told from the perspective of the protagonist, the novel presents a series of plot twists that manage to turn Bridget's life upside down, starting when she falls in love with her dangerously seductive boss, Daniel Cleaver. Her mother suffers a midlife crisis and becomes involved with a swindler from Portugal, Bridget leaves her job in publishing for a career as a reporter/researcher for a television program, and eventually finds a man who meets the criteria of being a "responsible adult."

For an American, one of the most delightful things about Bridget Jones' Diary is Fielding's use of British lingo. An apartment is a "flat," the bathroom is "the loo," and a cigarette is called a "fag." It takes a little getting used to at first. By the end, you'll hear Bridget's voice in the back of your head complaining about her overbearing mother and, chances are, you'll hear it in a British accent. It adds an element of authenticity to the novel, especially when she swears about her morning laundry crises and grumbles about having to attend parties where most guests make up the "Smug Marrieds" portion of the population.

Our heroine is supported by a group of equally flawed and funny friends, all of them 30-something and single. Sharon is the most vehemently feminist of the bunch, constantly ragging on men and parading her theory that "women are only vulnerable because we are a pioneer generation daring to refuse to compromise in love and relying on our own economic power." Like every single woman, Bridget has a supportive gay male to help her through her dating issues. Like Sharon, Tom is also full of theories - according to him, "homosexuals and single women in their thirties have natural bonding: both being accustomed to disappointing their parents and being treated as freaks by society." Jude is the final installment in Bridget's circle of friends. She is dating "Vile Richard," yet another man who fears commitment and therefore allows her to fall into the category of (more or less) single. The three sympathize with each other's romantic woes over huge amounts of alcohol while boosting each other's self-esteem in grand "We hate men!" fashion.

Surprisingly enough, the reader does not tire of Bridget's rants over the difficulties of losing weight ("How is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier?") or the way she keeps track of the number of lottery tickets she purchases versus her net profit. There isn't a single place where the novel sags or loses steam. Bridget continually reveals more of herself through the course of the year, drawing the reader in to the point of no return. She's comical from start to finish, and effortlessly holds one's attention.

So what if this book isn't for the boys? Once in a while girls need a reminder that it's okay to drink too much and to fall for the wrong guys. Bridget Jones' Diary reassures us that in the end, we'll manage to have all the answers and even find the right man.