Where you read it first | Monday, September 23, 2024

Twenty represent 20 people

To the editor:

I want to congratulate Jon Halpert and Adam Ross for leaving the silent majority and taking a stand ("An open letter to the Tufts community," 12/5). However, I beg to differ on several points in their viewpoint. First of all, it is not true that the proposal (not amendment) before the CSL suggests that identity, and belief about identity, are inseparable. Clearly they are not. But a policy which truly protects people from discrimination must allow them to accept the identities which are protected. Thus we are asking that the CSL take this into account when redesigning the re-recognition process for student organizations.

Secondly, I want to take issue with the implication that TSAD is trying to dictate what Christians should believe. I can only speak for myself, but I am a strong supporter of individual rights. This means that Christians can believe whatever they want, but they may not act on these beliefs in a way that hurts others. I believe that the purpose of the nondiscrimination policy is not to dictate belief, but action. When agroup acts to exclude people based on a protected category of identity, this should not be tolerated.

Lastly, I'm more confused than anything else about the implication that non-violent protest leads to tyranny. On the contrary, non-violent protest is used to give voice to an oppressed minority. Yes, it is true that 20 people cannot represent the whole campus, but that doesn't mean that they should not be heard. Messrs. Halpert and Ross have taken a good first step in speaking their own opinions. I can only hope that the next time they will check their facts.

Laura Sheppard-Brick , J'01