Where you read it first | Friday, October 25, 2024

Students react to new alcohol policy

As the campus springs back to life and the party scene slowly comes back to life, Tufts' new alcohol policy will receive its first early tests. Will the new policy, which erases the $50 Residential Life fine for alcohol violations and instead places students on increasingly strict levels of probation, encourage students to call for help when their friends are too plastered to make the call themselves?

While most students were in favor of removing the $50 Residential Life fine for alcohol violations, the fear of punishment still exists. Some students, however, now seem even more hesitant to risk placing their friends on even the first level of probation if Tufts Emergency Medical Service (TEMS) is needed to treat alcohol-related illnesses.

"The criticism of the old policy was that it discouraged people from reporting the problem," said sophomore Aaron Clift. "This [policy] seems to create a greater incentive for someone not to call."

Others agreed, saying that any form of punishment could potentially stand in the way of the student's well-being. "My first priority would be health, but it shouldn't be a choice. [Calling] might not be an automatic response," said freshman Mary Ann Triest.

"There should be some [policy where] people aren't afraid to seek help for their friends," added sophomore Shelly Gufert.

For some, the urgency of the situation would also factor into the decision to call. "If it was a life or death situation, I'd definitely call. If it was something minor, [the policy] might cross my mind," freshman Sean Safdi admitted.

Although it's impossible to tell how well the new policy has fared, at least one student is already calling for a return to the $50 fine. "[The policy] would make me think twice to call TEMS," said ophomore Eric Mitton. In calling TEMS, "I'm helping them out - at the same time, I'm really screwing them over. Nobody's going to stop from getting a friend to TEMS for just a few dollars. Someone might not call TEMS because they don't want to get [their friend] in trouble."

Dean of Students Bruce Reitman, who was involved in creating and applying the new policy, is aware of the various student responses. "There's been mixed opinions," he said. "Some people are concerned that any disciplinary repercussions will lessen the likelihood of someone calling for medical help."

In drawing up the policy, Reitman, Residential Life, the Tufts University Police Department, and certain student body members were principally concerned with encouraging students to calling TEMS in the event of a serious drinking illness. Although students are placed on probation, Reitman noted that parents are not notified about the first infraction, making it what he called a "middle of the road" policy.

"It's a responsible way to deal with [drinking]," Reitman said.

Some students agree with Reitman, viewing the policy as fair. They see the threat of probation as no more than a warning. "It has to be a policy where kids don't have to be afraid to call for a medical problem," freshman Vanessa Cardinausi said. "I do think it makes sense that they're encouraging people to call TEMS."

Despite his faith in the new policy, Reitman shares the concern that students will not call for help, but hopes that they will also realize the gravity of the situation. "For some, [the probation] would be a reason not to call for medical help. It's unfortunate and foolish. I hope people realize that they're jeopardizing someone's life," he said.

Resident Assistants (RAs), who are forbidden by Res Life policy from commenting on housing matters, also have mixed reactions, according to Reitman. "[RAs] were relieved that they didn't have to impose fines and that disciplinary action doesn't come from Res Life. On the other hand, for them, their involvement in cases now leads to University probation," he said.

The imposition of the policy on dorm life leads some students to think that the policy might even discourage drinking.

"Stepping up the policy is a good idea - it stops people from doing what they're not going to be prepared for," freshman Taylor Shawn said, referring to freshman and other students who might drink too much from lack of experience with alcohol. "It's to stop people from getting in over their heads."

Reitman, however, is not quite as optimistic. "Drinking has been one of those problems that you can try to address and if you enforce in it one area, then the drinking happens somewhere else. I'm not sure there's a way to effectively change that," he said.

The problem of binge drinking, Reitman continued, stems largely from the perception that everyone else is drinking. According to a Harvard University study, approximately 40 percent of college students believe that their peers drink to excess, a number far higher than the actual figure.

"One of the ways to combat drinking is to get the truth out," Reitman said. He added that students need to believe "that you can drink less and your peers won't shun you."