Where you read it first | Sunday, September 22, 2024

Disciplinary panel ruling says DJ

A student-faculty disciplinary panel ruled last month that two Tufts seniors did not violate University policy when they fired disc jockey Joe Viglione last summer. The Woburn resident, who filed charges against the students for "defamation of character" and "infliction of emotional distress" plans to appeal the outcome.

At a Nov. 20 hearing held by the Dean of Students office, the panel ruled not to punish WMFO executive board members David Dougan and Levi Novey. It did order Dougan to write a letter of apology for sending an "unnecessarily rude," "disrespectful," and "inappropriate" e-mail to Viglione's home.

Viglione, who is also suing Dougan for $2,000 in damages in Woburn small claims court, was a volunteer DJ on the station until he was fired on July 1 by Dougan, Novey, and WMFO General Manager Michael Dupuy.

"For six months now I haven't been on the radio there," Viglione said Friday. "They're trying to paint me as someone that everyone hated." Calling the disciplinary ruling a "victory," Viglione went on to express his hopes of removing the entire WFMO executive board and eventually being allowed back on the air. "That show meant the world to me," he said.

Dupuy, who maintains that Viglione was justly removed from WMFO after the police were called to the station this summer, said he was encouraged by last month's ruling.

"I feel that the proceedings were fair and at this point, it's really up to Dougan as to whether he wants to comply with what the judicial bodies are telling him," he said. "WMFO will support him whatever he decides to do."

Dean of Judicial Affairs Veronica Carter declined to comment on the specifics of the case. She would not confirm the names of any parties involved but did say that the University is participating in the ongoing adjudication of the issue.

In an Oct. 16 letter to Carter and Dean of Students Bruce Reitman, Viglione accused the two students of numerous offenses, including holding double standards and failing to follow due process.

"It was malicious, it was done with premeditation, and it is a total abuse of power," said Viglione of the July 2 e-mail from Dougan that notified him of his dismissal.

Viglione accused the University of "dragging its feet" on the issue, misleading him on his options, and withholding his police report for an unreasonable period of time. In a letter last week to Nathan Gantcher, chairman of the University Board of Trustees, he called for the WMFO executive board to be abolished and for Tufts to turn over items which he plans to use as evidence in court.

According to a report filed by the Tufts University Police Department (TUPD), the dispute erupted on June 22 while Viglione was preparing music for his show, Joe Vig's Pop Explosion. Both Viglione and June Weintraub, another WMFO community DJ, wished to use the same recording studio, which Viglione claims to have reserved consistent with WMFO procedures. Alleging that the quarrel made her feel uncomfortable, Weintraub phoned the TUPD and accused Viglione of "verbally assaulting" her.

As a result of the conflict, Dupuy, Novey, and Dougan decided to suspend both DJs from their shows for the rest the summer. While Viglione is still denied access to the station, Dupuy acknowledged that Weintraub is still a member of WMFO, although she does not currently host a show.

The case has attracted the attention of national media outlets, and Viglione received a letter from the television program Judge Judy requesting that he and Dougan mediate their dispute on television. CourtTV has also expressed interest in the case.