Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Comedian Jay Mohr will headline fall Comedy Show

Famed stand-up comedian Jay Mohr will headline this year's fall Comedy Show, to be held on Thursday, Nov. 16 at 9:30 p.m. in Cohen Auditorium. Tufts' improv comedy group Cheap Sox and mime troupe HYPE! will also be featured performers.

The event is sponsored by the Entertainment Board, and event organizers are excited to have such a talented performer as the main act.

"We definitely hope it will sell out," Entertainment Board co-chair Anna Sommer said. "We're really lucky to have him. He would be out of our budget, but we were able to get him to come because he is performing at Boston's Comedy Connection around the same time."

Mohr's agent, Matthew Frost, touted Mohr's show as a must-see. "It's more than a comedy show, it's like going to a comedy concert," he said.

Mohr gained national attention from his appearances on "Saturday Night Live," and is currently working in Pluto Nash with Eddie Murphy and Speaking of Sex with Bill Murray, both due out next year. The 30-year-old artist's credentials include roles in Jerry Maguire, 200 cigarettes, Pay it forward, Picture Perfect, Go, Suicide Kings, and Playing by Heart.

He was awarded the "2000 Golden Satellite Award" for "Best Performance by an Actor in a Series" and his show "Action" was nominated for the "Outstanding TV Comedy Series" category of the 2000 GLAAD Media Award.

Frost also said Mohr is very enthusiastic about performing on campus. "Jay loves performing stand-up at colleges," he said. "He's been doing it for years. He loves giving back to the students. It's his favorite audience."

Over 550 tickets for the show will go on sale on Wednesday, Nov. 8 at the Cohen Auditorium Box Office for $5 each. One ticket will be given per Tufts ID, and purchasers may present two ID cards.

Mohr will also be performing at the Comedy Connection in Faneuil Hall Thursday, Nov. 16 through Saturday, Nov. 18