Where you read it first | Saturday, September 21, 2024

Central could be two-team race

The NBA Central division was won by Indiana Pacers in a landslide last year. What people forget, though, was that in the first round of the playoffs, the Pacers were ten seconds away from losing to the Milwaukee Bucks. Look for the two to fight all year for the Central crown. However, don't count out the new-look Charlotte Hornets or the upstart Toronto Raptors. Unfortunately, there are more bad teams than good in the Central, which means that fans will mostly get to watch the Atlanta Hawks, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Detroit Pistons battle it out for the cellar spot.

Take it to the bank

One look at the Bulls roster will make you nostalgic for March Madness. The Chicago Bulls will likely end up at the bottom of the division, maybe the entire league, so why are they discussed first? Mainly to remind you not to forget about this team. The Bulls have a strong core of young players, plus they have a few names that will make you think back fondly to past NCAA Tournaments, like Khalid El-Amin, A.J. Guyton, and Bryce Drew. All three are question marks in the NBA, but the Bulls still have the services of co-Rookie of the Year Elton Brand (20 points per game last year), Ron Artest (12 ppg), Ron Mercer (17 ppg), and the fourth overall pick Marcus Fizer.

Fearless Predictions

The Bucks won't stop here. Milwaukee could run away with the division, but a few things have to happen first. They are going to have to continue to receive superb play from their trio of stars - Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, and Sam Cassell. Next, the Hornets and the Pacers are going to have to falter, and, finally, George Karl will have to coach his butt off. Allen, who averaged 22 points per game last year, teams up with point guard Cassell, who chipped in with 18 points and nine assists per game last year in the backcourt. Robinson is good for 20 points per game as well, and these three can lead this team to the title.

Clueless

Who will lead the Pacers? The easy answer is Reggie Miller, as he is the star of the team. However, Indiana lost a lot of leadership in the off-season, which may make it difficult for Miller to keep a young group of players together. Dale Davis (nine years of experience), Rik Smits (12), Mark Jackson (13), and Chris Mullin (15) are no longer on the roster, and for that matter, neither is coach Larry Bird. In his place is Isiah Thomas, and in the place of these veterans, younger guys like Jalen Rose, Austin Croshere, and Travis Best will have to lead the team, not just on the floor, but off it as well.

Young guns to be tested

Elton Brand. The good news is that not many people expect too much from the Bulls. The bad news is, the ones that do are in Chicago. The Bulls won't win this year, but if they are going to contend in the future, it is going to be because of Elton Brand. Not only will the former Duke Blue Devil need to be a lead on the court, but he is going to have to take his fellow youngsters - Artest, Fizer, and Michael Ruffin - under his wing, a giant task for a pretty big guy.

Ray Allen. It is time for Allen to shed the title of "Best player you don't know much about" and become one you know a lot about. Playing in Milwaukee, Allen doesn't get much print, which could explain why his teammates on the Olympic team were surprised at how good he was. In fact, some said he was the best player there - even better than Vince. It's not going to be enough for Allen to score his quiet 22 points per game. He needs to have a Jordan-like presence on this team.

Vince Carter. America has fallen in love with this former North Carolina Tar Heel and is quick to label him the next Jordan. True, he can leap over seven-foot Frenchmen in a single bound, but what the Raptors are waiting to see is if he can lead them in the playoffs. This is going to be an interesting year for "Air Canada," as he won't be playing alongside Tracy McGrady. Last year, Carter looked flustered and lost in the playoffs, but this year, he is going to have to fight to make sure his team gets there.

Old Legs to be retested

Jamal Mashburn. Another guy who is tough to figure out. He was great at Kentucky, horrible with the Dallas Mavericks, and then sporadic with the Heat. Charlotte needs him to be a number one or two scoring option, which means he can't disappear from some games like he tended to in Miami.

Dikembe Mutombo. The 7'2" Hawk is the only All-Star center to start in the East this year, which means it is time for him to dominate. Mutombo has always done so on defense - blocking over three shots per game and grabbing 14 rebounds a night - but now the Hawks can find out if there's any offense in this guy. This is the year to try.

Honey, grab the duffel, we're moving.

The big name free agents seemed to be leaving the Central more than coming in, as Eddie Jones, Grant Hill, and Tracy McGrady all took off. However, the Hornets, Pistons, and Raptors hope they got equal value for their former stars.

Charlotte received Mashburn, P.J. Brown, and Otis Thorpe, while the Pistons got Chucky Atkins and Ben Wallace from the Magic, plus they signed Billy Owens and Cedric Ceballos. The Raptors lost Doug Christie and Dee Brown in addition to McGrady but picked up Corliss Williamson and Mark Jackson.

In other cities, Milwaukee signed Lindsey Hunter, Indiana got Jermaine O'Neal, and Cleveland signed Robert Traylor, J.R. Reid, Clarence Weatherspoon, and Chris Gatling, but parted with Shawn Kemp, Danny Ferry, and Bobby Sura.