Where you read it first | Friday, September 20, 2024

Brazilian priestess shares culture and spirituality

The Afro-Brazilian rhythms associated with the religion of Candomble, beat against the walls as priestess Mainha D'Oxum spoke of her roots. During her talk on Wednesday, she shared the common rituals, beliefs, and cultural practices of her religion and those of the Latin and South American cultures Santeria and Voodun.

Prior to D'Oxum's speech, Professor Calvin Gidney provided a brief overview of Candomble and its origins for those less versed in the topic. "A lot of different West African religions went into the formation of Candomble. Primarily though, the most important influence was from the Yoruba peoples that now occupy the Southwest coastal area of Nigeria and Benin," Gidney said.

At Gidney's conclusion, D'Oxum chimed in with a 'hi' - the only English she spoke that afternoon, leaving Gidney to interpret for the middle-aged woman. Clad in an embroidered white cotton ensemble, accented by colorful necklaces, D'Oxum crossed the language barrier to explain her roots and the journey to becoming a priestess.

D'Oxum, whose ancestral roots lie in Candomble, endured the long process of becoming a priestess, which culminated in a calling from God that D'Oxum fully accepted.

"I did not decide [to become a priestess]," D'Oxum said. "It was a destiny that came to me from God. It came to me from my ancestors."

As she spoke to audience members, D'Oxum shed a few tears as she peered directly into the eyes of those she addressed. Her maternal instincts came through in her use of phrases like "my son" or "my child" to end her explanations, making for a dinner-table discussion rather than a formal lecture.

"The love I give my children is the same kind of motherly love I can give to other people. The relationship is very similar," D'Oxum said in an emotional exchange.

Adding to her personal experiences, D'Oxum revealed that while Candomble, Santeria, and Voodun are similar, they are also different. While members of all three have encounters with spirits, the rituals implicit in each of the religions are quite different, despite the overlap in the saints they believe in.

Towards the end of her speech, D'Oxum stepped on the stage and danced for an enthusiastic and interested audience. Dancing around in a circle, she used small back and forth motions with her arms, lightly stepping on her feet. At the end of the dance, she explained the nuances of this cultural dance.

D'Oxum ended her multi-faceted talk on a spiritual note before bidding a peaceful farewell.