Where you read it first | Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Cabaret' comes to the Colonial

Close your eyes and imagine yourself in Berlin in the 1930s. There is a restless energy running through the city. This is pre-World War II Germany. It is the dawn of Hitler's rise to power - political tensions, scantily clad girls, and nightclubs abound. "Wilkom" to the world of Cabaret. While you're here, let the master of ceremonies show you around. After all, as the famous opening number goes, what good is sitting alone in your room?

If any show has ever been a smashing success, it is Cabaret. When it premiered on Broadway in 1967, it won eight Tony Awards including Best Musical. The movie version of Cabaret, starring Liza Minnelli and Joel Grey, won eight Academy Awards. Boston has finally been able to play host to the highly acclaimed Broadway production of Cabaret, directed by Sam Mendes, the famous London director. Mendes' reworked New York version of Cabaret has received critical acclaim and recently received four Tonys.

Cabaret is based on the book Berlin Stories, which eventually became the play I am a Camera. It tells the story of a young American, Cliff Bradshaw (Rick Holmes) who comes to Berlin to write a novel. He meets the lovely, young Sally Bowles (Teri Hatcher) at a nightclub called the Kit Kat Club. Sally is a flighty Bohemian-type who has trouble settling down. Even though she is a mediocre talent, she dreams of being a big nightclub star. The two settle down together.

The play centers around their relationship in the backdrop of the Kit Kat Club. The mysterious master of ceremonies (Norbert Leo Butz) is a continuous presence throughout the evening. There is also a sub-plot that involves Fraulein Schneider (Barbara Andres) and Herr Schultz (Dick Latessa), an elderly couple whose relationship is threatened by Hitler's rise to power.

The unusual staging in the show and the wonderful dance numbers are part of what make this production so unique. The orchestra is on stage and is dressed just like the other characters on stage. Walking into the theater, the actors are already on the stage and plunge the audience into their world even before the curtain opens. There are a few tables surrounding the stage to recreate the atmosphere of a nightclub. Little touches throughout the play add to the heightened intensity from the staging of Herr Schultz and Fraulein Schneider's wedding party to the incredibly shocking and powerful ending.

The Roundabout Theater's production of Cabaret seems to like to rely on star power for the role of Sally Bowles. In the recent Broadway production, the film actress Jennifer Jason Leigh took over for Natasha Richardson. In the Boston production, the director has given another famous screen actress, Teri Hatcher, a stab at the part. Many people questioned whether Hatcher (who is known to all of America as Lois from the now-defunct Lois and Clark) could give the part the panache it needs. The answer to their question is a resounding "yes." Hatcher's debut stage performance is one that deserves praise. She is wonderful as Bowles and has a strong and vital stage presence. With her elegant figure and beautiful face, she looks the part one hundred percent. Her voice is a bit rough but carries and she appears to have no trouble singing the songs. Her performance is especially poignant during the second act when she sings "Cabaret." She is quiet and reserved, but is able to convey a great deal of emotional intensity.

Leo Butz does a fairly good job playing the Emcee, who serves as the voice of morality and reason for the country. Butz, who is fresh from playing Roger in the Broadway production of Rent, almost looks a little too American and wholesome for the ghoulish Emcee. It takes him a bit of time to warm up to the role. By the time the second act rolls around, he seems more comfortable with the part and starts having fun. He is especially chilling when he sings the song "I Don't Care Much," and is amusing to watch during the comic song, "Two Ladies."

Other notable performances are given by Dick Latessa and Barbara Andres, who play Herr Schultz and Fraulein Schneider respectively. Latessa, a Broadway veteran, has a powerhouse of a voice and sounds like he could be in an opera. His performance is touching and sweet and he has a wonderful chemistry with Andres, who gives an equally poignant and powerful performance.

This production of Cabaret is vastly different from what Broadway audiences saw in the 1967 version of the show. The script has been reworked and various new songs have been added to the show, such as "Mein Herr," and "I Don't Care Much." There is also a greater emphasis on Cliff's bisexuality, a part of the story that was not even a part of the original production.

Cabaret is sure to be one of the hottest tickets in town. The Kit Kat Club is just waiting to "wilkom" you into its world. After all, life is a cabaret, old chum.

Cabaret will be playing at the Colonial Theater through June 6. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster (617) 931-2787 and directly at the Colonial Theater Box Office.