Women's Cross Country | Tufts runners finish third at ECACs

The women's cross country team placed third out of 47 teams at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship (ECAC) meet on Saturday in Bristol, R.I. The team's score of 111 points was bested only by NESCAC rivals Middlebury and Williams.

With teams resting their top seven runners for the NCAA Regional Championship meet next week, the meet was a chance for teams to showcase their depth by competing with runners eight through 14.

It's a good chance for the second seven to work on racing because other teams race their second seven, too," senior Grace House said. "Our goal was to finish second or third. We wanted to stick with the Middlebury pack and the Williams girls."

Freshman Alice Wasserman finished first for the Jumbos, placing 11th overall with a time of 23:03.

"I am extremely happy with my race," Wasserman said. "I took a pretty hard fall towards the middle of the third mile, but my teammates helped push me to come back, and I ultimately had a great finish. ECAC definitely gave me much more confidence as a racer."

Not far behind Wasserman were House and junior Caroline Kimball-Katz. House placed 14th with a time of 23:06, and Kimball-Katz placed finished 15th at 23:12.

Next to cross the line for Tufts was sophomore Alexandra Kiesling, placing 34th with a time of 23:49. Sophomore Katie Kurtz finished in 37th at 23:59