How to lose weight quickly?

AMC's new drama "Turn" is a creative new take on the American Revolution and the heated conflicts - both on and off the battlefield - that defined it. Set in Long Island in 1776, the show focuses on one man, Abraham Woodhull (Jamie Bell), a poor farmer trying to keep his family afloat and to deal with the British soldiers whom he is forced to quarter in his home. The long and short of Abraham's character is this: he is a good man and a bad farmer. As he struggles to make ends meet and take care of his wife Mary (Meegan Warner) and one-year-old son Tomas, he is also embroiled in a moral struggle. The corrupt commanders of the Loyalist army force him to question whom he sides with in this fight - a question that likely will have difficult familial implications. His father Richard (Kevin McNally) is a steadfast Loyalist who supports the British army that resides in Setauket, and he makes his family do the same.The drama begins when Abraham and his friend Selah (Robert Beitzel) get into a fight with some quarrelsome British soldiers. Since Abe's father is the town magistrate, the protagonist is sent to his father's care while Selah is sent to the shackles. Abraham, feeling supremely guilty that his friend is being punished while he is free, decides to pay off a previous debt to Selah. While attempting to secure the necessary funds, however, Continental Army soldiers, suspecting him of spying, take Abraham captive.Abraham is fortunately saved yet again - this time rescued by his childhood friend Ben Tallmadge (Seth Numrich), who turns out to be the leader of this group of soldiers. Ben, who now serves as a commander in the Continental Dragoon, gives Abraham an opportunity to become a spy for the Patriots. Initially, Abraham's family ties make him reluctant to help, but when Abraham witnesses another injustice by the redcoats, he decides to no longer sit idly by.The show moves slowly, with minor confusing elements. Characters are given scenes before being introduced, and the pieces of plot are assembled rather haphazardly. Abraham seems befuddled, for good reason, and he lacks a clear central focus or motivation for much of the pilot. Accents are used sporadically, with Welsh, English and Irish twangs intermingling with more typically American ones. The lack of uniformity can make it, at times, difficult to determine if a character is a Patriot with a British accent or a Loyalist with an American one. Admittedly, this lack of cohesion is reminiscent of the real-life variety within each army, but in the show, it feels puzzling and sloppy.To the show's credit, the production and design is beautifully done. The costumes, make-up, hair and sets are gorgeously constructed. One scene in particular, on the Brooklyn harbor, is jaw dropping. The beautiful sets create lush and dramatic depictions of 18th century New York. While "Turn" might not attract enormous ratings like fellow AMC drama "The Walking Dead" (2010-present) or garner the critical success of "Mad Men" (2007-present), it does have the potential to be quite engaging.Indeed, "Turn" has potential, so long as it doesn't get bogged down in trying to achieve the accuracy of a PBS documentary or the drama of an HBO series. Although the show lacks the acting powerhouses that propelled "Breaking Bad" (2008-2013) and "Mad Men" to must-see status, it brings something unique to television. It offers a new take on an often-unexplored side of the American Revolution, one not seen in past colonial dramas like the HBO miniseries "John Adams" (2008). "Turn" has a great tale to tell. If series' producers and creators can sharpen its focus a bit, then "Turn" might be set to capture America's hearts every Sunday at 9 p.m., just as easily as Abraham Woodhull is stealing secrets from the British.

AMC's new drama "Turn" is a creative new take on the American Revolution and the heated conflicts - both on and off the battlefield - that defined it. Set in Long Island in 1776, the show focuses on one man, Abraham Woodhull (Jamie Bell), a poor farmer trying to keep his family afloat and to deal with the British soldiers whom he is forced to quarter in his home. The long and short of Abraham's character is this: he is a good man and a bad farmer. As he struggles to make ends meet and take care of his wife Mary (Meegan Warner) and one-year-old son Tomas, he is also embroiled in a moral struggle. The corrupt commanders of the Loyalist army force him to question whom he sides with in this fight - a question that likely will have difficult familial implications. His father Richard (Kevin McNally) is a steadfast Loyalist who supports the British army that resides in Setauket, and he makes his family do the same.

The drama begins when Abraham and his friend Selah (Robert Beitzel) get into a fight with some quarrelsome British soldiers. Since Abe's father is the town magistrate, the protagonist is sent to his father's care while Selah is sent to the shackles. Abraham, feeling supremely guilty that his friend is being punished while he is free, decides to pay off a previous debt to Selah. While attempting to secure the necessary funds, however, Continental Army soldiers, suspecting him of spying, take Abraham captive.

Abraham is fortunately saved yet again - this time rescued by his childhood friend Ben Tallmadge (Seth Numrich), who turns out to be the leader of this group of soldiers. Ben, who now serves as a commander in the Continental Dragoon, gives Abraham an opportunity to become a spy for the Patriots. Initially, Abraham's family ties make him reluctant to help, but when Abraham witnesses another injustice by the redcoats, he decides to no longer sit idly by.

The show moves slowly, with minor confusing elements. Characters are given scenes before being introduced, and the pieces of plot are assembled rather haphazardly. Abraham seems befuddled, for good reason, and he lacks a clear central focus or motivation for much of the pilot. Accents are used sporadically, with Welsh, English and Irish twangs intermingling with more typically American ones. The lack of uniformity can make it, at times, difficult to determine if a character is a Patriot with a British accent or a Loyalist with an American one. Admittedly, this lack of cohesion is reminiscent of the real-life variety within each army, but in the show, it feels puzzling and sloppy.

To the show's credit, the production and design is beautifully done. The costumes, make-up, hair and sets are gorgeously constructed. One scene in particular, on the Brooklyn harbor, is jaw dropping. The beautiful sets create lush and dramatic depictions of 18th century New York. While "Turn" might not attract enormous ratings like fellow AMC drama "The Walking Dead" (2010-present) or garner the critical success of "Mad Men" (2007-present), it does have the potential to be quite engaging.

Indeed, "Turn" has potential, so long as it doesn't get bogged down in trying to achieve the accuracy of a PBS documentary or the drama of an HBO series. Although the show lacks the acting powerhouses that propelled "Breaking Bad" (2008-2013) and "Mad Men" to must-see status, it brings something unique to television. It offers a new take on an often-unexplored side of the American Revolution, one not seen in past colonial dramas like the HBO miniseries "John Adams" (2008). "Turn" has a great tale to tell. If series' producers and creators can sharpen its focus a bit, then "Turn" might be set to capture America's hearts every Sunday at 9 p.m., just as easily as Abraham Woodhull is stealing secrets from the British.

How to lose weight quickly is one of the most popular health questions on the internet, according to Yahoo. Losing weight can be done quickly, however, it needs to be done in a healthy way too.

People may want to lose weight rapidly for one of several reasons:

• A bride-to-be who wants to fit into her wedding dress
  • A jockey who needs to lose some pounds rapidly before a race
  • A boxer who needs to get below a certain weight by a specific date and time, otherwise he will be disqualified

The majority of people in North America and Western Europe want to lose weight, and the faster the better! However, did you know that most people who have been on crash diets are obese or overweight today?

Although losing weight quickly is possible, not only is it bad for your health, it is almost certainly a recipe for becoming even fatter later on.

Kelly D. Brownell, Director of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, who coined the term "yo-yo dieting", explained why crash dieters eventually get into a cycle of crash diets and high food intake and gain weight in the long-term.

The vicious circle of crash diets

When the human body consumes less energy than it requires, it uses its stored energy.

Initially, the body starts using up its glycogen stores because they can be easily turned into glucose. In humans, glycogen is stored primarily in the cells of the liver and the muscles.

When the glycogen runs out, the body then starts breaking down amino acids from protein (muscle) to make glucose.

Finally, when glycogen has been used up and non-vital protein is depleted, fat is broken down to release triglycerides for energy.

Glycogen and protein hold water, if you lose the glycogen or protein you lose water. Experts estimate we carry between 60 to 120 grams of glycogen in the liver, which is stored in about 6 pounds of water. So if you use up the glycogen, you lose that weight in water. Add to that the water loss when protein is used up to make energy.

Crash dieters at this point are extremely excited. They have lost a great deal of weight. However, most of it is water released when the glycogen and non-essential protein is used up. Not much fat has been lost at this point.

In order to lose 1 pound of fat you need a calorific deficit of 3,500 kilocalories.

The trouble is, by the time the body starts turning to its reserves of fat to make up for the energy deficit caused by the crash diet, its metabolism has slowed right down.

The body's metabolism slows down for several reasons. The hypothalamus, a region in the brain, realizes that fat stores have changed and consequently lowers metabolism to replace the lost fat. During the breaking down of amino acids into glucose, protein is lost, which means loss of lean tissue (muscle). The less muscle you have, the slower your metabolism will be.
Estimated Calorie Requirements (in kilocalories) for Each Gender and Age Groupat Three Levels of Physical Activity.
Child 2-3 1,000 1,000 - 1,400 1,000 - 1,400
Female 4 - 8 1,200 1,400 - 1,600 1,400 - 1,800
Female 9-13 1,600 1,600 - 2,000 1,800 - 2,000
Female 14-18 1,800 2,000 2,400
Female 19-30 2,000 2,000 - 2,200 2,400
Female 31-50 1,800 2,000 2,200
Eventually the crash dieters weight loss slows right down and he or she loses motivation. Other psychological factors start to kick in too.

When lower motivation results in the person abandoning their diet, they put on weight rapidly because their metabolism is now much lower, the brain is telling the body to store (in fat) every possible reserves of energy, and the disappointment and sense of failure often encourages further eating.

Researchers at the University of Oviedo in Spain reported in the journal Psychology Health & Medicine that the short-term effects of crash diets are not maintained in the medium to long term. They added that such diets typically result in a subgroup becoming obese or overweight, due more to psychological consequences than biological mechanisms.