Now that's what I call a sandwich

With the current dearth of quality entertainment in theaters, it can be easy, at times, to overlook the fact that 2013 delivered one of the strongest and most enjoyable years for film in recent memory. From the surprising blockbuster success of Gravity" to the controversy that erupted over Martin Scorsese's "The Wolf of Wall Street," this past year has seen a variety of engrossing and memorable performances, along with films that have pushed the boundary of cinema and contributed to the cultural dialogue. The packed field has led to a highly competitive race throughout the awards season, and it all comes to a close this weekend with the 86th Academy Awards, to be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. And just in time for those last minute Oscar pools and bets with friends, the Daily has your guide to picking the winners for this Sunday's ceremony, complete with an analysis of the six major fields. Best Picture"12 Years A Slave""American Hustle""Captain Phillips""Dallas Buyers Club""Gravity""Her""Nebraska""Philomena""The Wolf of Wall Street"Will Win: "12 Years A Slave"Should Win: "12 Years A Slave"Heading into awards season, it seemed like the Best Picture category would be a two-way race between "Gravity" and "12 Years A Slave." While "American Hustle" gained enough momentum to be the only other major challenger from the nominees (thanks to critical acclaim following its December release and a major win at the Screen Actors Guild  Awards), the race still boils down to the two main contenders. After winning Best Motion Picture - Drama at the Golden Globes and a slew of top prizes at numerous critics' awards, it's likely that "12 Years" will end up coming out on top at the end of the night, although it is possible that "Gravity" could win out if enough voters end up being turned off by the intense violence of the film."Gravity" is a spellbinding crowd-pleaser and an impressive technical achievement (more on that later), but there is no doubt who should be taking home the Oscar on Sunday. "12 Years A Slave" is a haunting yet powerful film that depicts the brutalities of slavery and forces viewers to directly confront this dark period of United States history. Some of the other nominees may be more creative ("Her") or more entertaining ("American Hustle"), but what sets "12 Years" apart from the pack is its ability to masterfully deliver a heart-wrenching emotional journey that cuts straight to the core. Is it a pleasant film? Absolutely not, but some great works of art are meant to challenge their audience, and by doing so "12 Years" has already earned its status as a cinematic landmark. Best ActorChristian Bale ("American Hustle")Bruce Dern ("Nebraska")Leonardo DiCaprio ("Wolf of Wall Street")Chiwetel Ejiofor ("12 Years A Slave")Matthew McConaughey ("Dallas Buyers Club")Will Win: Matthew McConaugheyShould Win: Chiwetel EjioforOut of all of this year's major races, the Best Actor category is easily the most competitive and unpredictable. Receiving a nomination alone was a struggle, with many actors who would have been a lock in weaker years (Tom Hanks, Robert Redford) being snubbed entirely. It's possible that there could be an upset by Dern - many hail his performance as a career best - or DiCaprio, who is destined to win one day, but probably not for his slimy but charming portrayal of Jordan Belfort. In an ideal world, Chiwetel Ejiofor's subtle yet gut-wrenching performance as Solomon Northup would win

With the current dearth of quality entertainment in theaters, it can be easy, at times, to overlook the fact that 2013 delivered one of the strongest and most enjoyable years for film in recent memory. From the surprising blockbuster success of Gravity" to the controversy that erupted over Martin Scorsese's "The Wolf of Wall Street," this past year has seen a variety of engrossing and memorable performances, along with films that have pushed the boundary of cinema and contributed to the cultural dialogue. The packed field has led to a highly competitive race throughout the awards season, and it all comes to a close this weekend with the 86th Academy Awards, to be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres. And just in time for those last minute Oscar pools and bets with friends, the Daily has your guide to picking the winners for this Sunday's ceremony, complete with an analysis of the six major fields.

Best Picture

"12 Years A Slave"

"American Hustle"

"Captain Phillips"

"Dallas Buyers Club"

"Gravity"

"Her"

"Nebraska"

"Philomena"

"The Wolf of Wall Street"

Will Win: "12 Years A Slave"

Should Win: "12 Years A Slave"

Heading into awards season, it seemed like the Best Picture category would be a two-way race between "Gravity" and "12 Years A Slave." While "American Hustle" gained enough momentum to be the only other major challenger from the nominees (thanks to critical acclaim following its December release and a major win at the Screen Actors Guild Awards), the race still boils down to the two main contenders. After winning Best Motion Picture - Drama at the Golden Globes and a slew of top prizes at numerous critics' awards, it's likely that "12 Years" will end up coming out on top at the end of the night, although it is possible that "Gravity" could win out if enough voters end up being turned off by the intense violence of the film.

"Gravity" is a spellbinding crowd-pleaser and an impressive technical achievement (more on that later), but there is no doubt who should be taking home the Oscar on Sunday. "12 Years A Slave" is a haunting yet powerful film that depicts the brutalities of slavery and forces viewers to directly confront this dark period of United States history. Some of the other nominees may be more creative ("Her") or more entertaining ("American Hustle"), but what sets "12 Years" apart from the pack is its ability to masterfully deliver a heart-wrenching emotional journey that cuts straight to the core. Is it a pleasant film? Absolutely not, but some great works of art are meant to challenge their audience, and by doing so "12 Years" has already earned its status as a cinematic landmark.

Best Actor

Christian Bale ("American Hustle")

Bruce Dern ("Nebraska")

Leonardo DiCaprio ("Wolf of Wall Street")

Chiwetel Ejiofor ("12 Years A Slave")

Matthew McConaughey ("Dallas Buyers Club")

Will Win: Matthew McConaughey

Should Win: Chiwetel Ejiofor

Out of all of this year's major races, the Best Actor category is easily the most competitive and unpredictable. Receiving a nomination alone was a struggle, with many actors who would have been a lock in weaker years (Tom Hanks, Robert Redford) being snubbed entirely. It's possible that there could be an upset by Dern - many hail his performance as a career best - or DiCaprio, who is destined to win one day, but probably not for his slimy but charming portrayal of Jordan Belfort. In an ideal world, Chiwetel Ejiofor's subtle yet gut-wrenching performance as Solomon Northup would win

Not since the 4th Earl of Sandwich called for two pieces of bread and a slab of meat to eat at his card table has there been a better time to enjoy a sarnie. And if you’re the sort of person who tends to grab a sad ham and cheese roll on the run for your lunch, then you are really missing a trick. The sandwich has had quite a makeover.

Forget the questionable egg mayo and Coronation chicken triangles you’ll find festering away in your local shop, because all over the country increasingly outrageous offerings are being peddled: pork banh mi from Vietnam, lobster rolls, giant Reubens and meatball subs. And they’ve got bigger; half the time you’ll find a knife and fork is required to actually tackle them. Usually thought of as being a cheap, deskbound snack, this new generation of sandwiches is often served up in high-end joints (and often with prices to match). Nor are these creations destined solely for lunch; people are gorging on them for dinner, too.

So why has the sandwich gone all decadent (not to mention international)? Helen Graves, author of the new book 101 Sandwiches: A Collection of the Finest Sandwiches from Around the World, suggests that this sandwich renaissance is in part down to recent food trends.

“I think US television programmes such as Man v. Food really introduced the public to these giant creations. People were saying, ‘Oh, Americans really do sandwiches differently’. That sort of food then became very popular and fashionable. There was a lot of so-called ‘dude food’ about, restaurants such as MEATLiquor. The street-food trend made a big difference, too: you can hold on to sandwiches and they’re easy to eat while standing.”

The rise of street food certainly should be held accountable: the popular food trucks that do well go on to become proper restaurants. Then, before you know it, everyone is eating variations of sandwiches while dining out. There is also the sheer array of sandwiches from around the globe, introducing the hungry to all types of exotic fillings and breads.

Chefs are keen to experiment, too.  Recent eye-popping creations include the ramen noodle burger and the mac-and-cheese burger (in this carb wonder, the noodles and macaroni are transformed into the bun). And, yes, burgers are counted as sandwiches. “Really I would say that anything enclosed in bread is a sandwich,” says Graves. “But I am quite flexible. I would argue that a burrito is a sandwich, and I have included a recipe for one in the book. A hot dog is, too. A calzone, however, is not. But I don’t mind letting certain things in. For instance, I put in a recipe for an open sandwich because in Scandinavia they are a classic. We shouldn’t be too uptight about what qualifies as a sandwich.”