Boloco closes Boston Ave. location

A new restaurant will replace Boloco after the student-frequented burrito chain opted to shut down its Boston Avenue location in May.

After years of contemplating an exit from Medford, founder and CEO of Boloco John Pepper decided to close Boloco due to difficulties in branding the restaurant as unique from its local competitors.

"A lot of the reason that we were forced to leave this location is that we didn't do a good job of differentiating ourselves from our competitors in Davis Square, like Anna's Taqueria, where they do a unique job of marketing themselves, and Chipotle, where people come from all over the world to attend Tufts and see Chipotle as something familiar to them," Pepper said.

Tamper, the new restaurant and coffee shop operated by Boloco co-founders Jason Hutchinson and Adam Liebman, will open in early September and offer classic breakfast and lunch options with a specialty in coffee, according to Liebman. The business will serve customers from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekends. 

Liebman expressed excitement about engaging with the local community through the new business. 

"We hope to be very involved in the community of Medford," Liebman said. "While we are getting started, we will begin slow, but we hope to increase involvement as we become established."

According to Pepper, Boloco previously operated in a university-owned space under landlord and Director of Real Property Services Bruce Ketchen, who worked to revive the weakening business. 

"Tufts University did a great job of trying to help us stay," Pepper said. "Back in 2011, the landlord actually tried to help us out and help us stay by lowering our rent. People just weren't as excited about Boloco in this location as in our other locations."

Although Boloco did not attract enough costumers to sustain business, many students expressed disappointment at the news of the chain's departure from Medford.

"There aren't many nice places in the Medford area so close to Tufts that offer a nice refreshing break from work like Boloco," Tammara Gary, a sophomore, said.

Director of Dining and Business Services Patti Klos explained that businesses near the Tufts campus face the challenge of bringing in both students and the surrounding community. 

"Any of the off-campus eateries that are part of the JumboCash program have to be able to service the broader community and not just the student population," she said. "Students aren't here year round, so to be a viable business you have to be able to be of service to people that live in Medford."

While Pepper regrets having to close Boloco, he feels confident that Tamper will thrive under the guidance of his co-workers. 

"The two men that are taking over are good friends of mine, and both have a lot of raw passion that is really important when you are going to create a business," he said. "I am optimistic for their success at this location."

The university is also hopeful for the new business's success, Klos said.

"[Students] are looking for good value, hours that suit their lifestyle and healthy options - even though they don't choose them every time they go out to eat - and they want something a little different," she said. "There is definitely an opportunity to offer something different."

While the Boloco location on Boston Avenue no longer exists, Pepper intends to continue the chain's relationship with Tufts in some capacity. 

"There are other Boston locations that Tufts students can patronize, and we hope to continue to have events for Tufts students into the fall," he said. "We are obviously feeling sort of empty about leaving this location. We never want to close a restaurant, but this is what we have to do."